Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a good 8 lug 15 inch wheel ( did a search no help)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Sep 18, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I ‘m about to get some 8 lug 15inch wheels and have been reading all the post about the different kind that are out there but, they all look the same. I read about the chrome mod type wheels like Bart, Eaton, and some others but, no one can agree that any of the wheels are better than the other. They all state one wheel brand has bad chrome or runs untrue. I am looking for a good 8 lug 15 inch wheel that has good chrome or aluminum and runs true. Does anyone here know which brand is better that the other with those characteristics in mind? The amount of GVW is not that important to me because I read the weakest one was 1200 lbs.

Thanks
    Charles

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I have bart super trucker 15x10 8 lug wheels and don't like them. They don't seem to run true at all.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do you want aluminum or steel?

I have M/T aluminum aluminum wheels..... But I would rather have had steel from Stockton Wheel. Stockton Wheel has good products but they take awhile to manufacture/ship.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have the Bart Super Trucker 15x10's but they have been great, seemed to be true and balanced well. What tipped you off that yours weren't true, I might want to double check mine again the same way.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

For one thing, you can't get 8 lug aluminum rims from any supplier I've seen. Even if you could, I don't see how they could possibly be made to fit GM 8 lug axles. Based on everything I know, your going to have to stick to steel wheels. Even then the front calipers will need some grinding, unless you choose about 2” back space, and maybe even then depending on your calipers and wheels. As to which one is better, <shrug> I have no idea. I went with white painted "Unique" 15x8 8 lug steels.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if they make any black steel wheels in 15" 8 Lug?

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've just been researching this topic today since I just sold the 16.5's off of my truck and am swapping to 15x10's. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif The only black ones I could find are made by Eaton. They're supposed to be pretty heavy duty, but you pay for that... You can see 'em here: http://www.natltire.com/ntw0799/pages/eaton.html .

I think I'm going to order 5 of these tomorrow: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=19741&view=257#largerimage /forums/images/icons/cool.gif They're also available in the same style in white, but I'm not too crazy about white and don't want to hassle with painting a set of white ones. So I guess I'll go with the stylin' chrome. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

well hmmm, I really want these:
    [​IMG]
    But they dont make them in 15" 8 lug

9. HarryH3

Yep, those are what I was looking for too, but I haven't found them in an 8-lug version. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

10. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Be cautious about the finish of the US Wheels. I have a set of their chrome wheels and the chrome started peeling in lees than a year. They are good rims, but the finish is lacking.

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

4 wheel parts here in fw told me they could get me some of those in 15x10 8 lug, in different offsets, depending on whether i was running them under my 3/4 or 1 ton

help this helps /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

also harry, there is a big wheel place up in denver, they used to have a store in the springs also, but they closed, can't remember the name, but they had a warehouse full of used wheels, and at that time even had used swampers and other tires /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. HarryH3

Thaks for the tip! Peeling chrome sucks! I did a search on www.ThomasRegister.com and could not find any match for a company named US Wheel. Are they made in China or something?

14. HarryH3

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can find them in the Yellow Pages. Most of those types of places seem to want the price of a new wheel for used ones though. But it doesn't hurt to ask. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

So far the only 8-lug 15x10's that I've found at 4Wheel Parts are these: http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=50&occlass=TECH&cat=WHE&id=AG941N3MMKS92G3U00AKHLV8EBMC99F6 They don't seem to have 'em in black either. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

I've never even heard of the Tech 1 brand. Does anyone know anything about them?

15. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I got a set of used American Racing whitespokes and spraypainted them black. They run very true, I'm happy with them

16. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

www.uswheel.com

I found it in Yahoo Search, but all the links say its under construction.

17. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

National tire has the15x 10 8 lug black modular for $63. Tyres international has 15x8 8lug(black) for $147 for a set of 4.

I called both places and verified about an hour ago.

18. HarryH3

I found their sorry excuse for a web site yesterday. But as you saw, it's a waste of disk space. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif But the Thomas Register has information on every decent sized company in the US and they don't have any listing for US Wheel. I decided to go with the stylin' chrome wagon wheels after I discovered that Cragar makes them in a 15x10 8-lug. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif They were way in the back of the Jeg's catalog. There's a picture of them on Cragars nearly worthless web site at http://www.cragar.com/315nom.html . All the site has is pictures of wheels, but no listings of sizes, bolt patterns, etc. But at least I trust the Cragar brand much more than US Wheel. The Cragar's only cost $9 more per wheel than the other guys. I hope they hold up well! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Once I had a part number, I found that Summit also carries them, but doesn't list them in their catalog. But alas, they only had one in stock and said it would be at least 2 weeks before I would get the other 4. Since I really don't want the truck in the garage on jackstands for that long, I ordered them from Jegs. They had all 5 in stock and they're shipping today. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

19. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im still unsure if I want black or chrome. Kinda looking at all availible wheels.

20. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wasamata, yall don't like my $30 wheels? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif