Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a good pop up blocker

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, May 30, 2004.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

any good ones out there i know there are alot but i want a good one!! thanks, chris

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

google toolbar /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

i like the one Here .
    Its small and contains no adware and is free. works as good as any i've used. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i use the google toolbar popup blocker and it works really good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

tried the one roadhawg posted still getting pop ups!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif trying google now

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i use the one from panicware, called pop-up stopper. you can download it free. one thing i like about this one, if you want a new window to open when you click on something, puch control and it bypasses the popup blocker. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I use PopThis. Its free and contains to spyware crap. You can find it at Download.com

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I use Firefox. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

10. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    i like the one Here .
    Its small and contains no adware and is free. works as good as any i've used. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta agree here. If you are using IE 5 or greater then this is the way to go. I have tried many different stoppers and this has yet to let one through.

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I also use the Google tool bar, works very well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

One of the best defenses against redirect scrips and pop-ups is Tools --> Options --> Security Tab. Lock down the browser. And don't let any ActiveX run from sites you're not sure about. Some still get by.

13. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    tried the one roadhawg posted still getting pop ups!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif trying google now

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are getting popups from sites that normally dont have them (like getting a popup surfing CK5) then you may already have some spyware on your computer that is causing it.

14. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i think that is what my problem is. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

On XP:

Start
    Run
    Enter MSCONFIG
    Hit OK
    Go to Services tab
    Uncheck Messenger tab
    Click Apply, then OK
    Restart computer

Should help with some of the pop ups.

16. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

www.enigmasoftwaregroup.com $29.00 but well worth it. You actually get a cleaner & popup blocker. This is the best one I have come across in five years of using several. Just a one time fee. Also offers a free version. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On XP:

Start
    Run
    Enter MSCONFIG
    Hit OK
    Go to Services tab
    Uncheck Messenger tab
    Click Apply, then OK
    Restart computer

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Download Adaware from lavasoft.com

Then get Spybot Search & Destroy from download.com

These programs will get rid of the source of most of your popups.

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    On XP:

Start
    Run
    Enter MSCONFIG
    Hit OK
    Go to Services tab
    Uncheck Messenger tab
    Click Apply, then OK
    Restart computer

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the messenger built into the network client so network admins can send group messages or messages by IP about computer/network info. For home users, you can disable it. If someone knew your IP address you can go the dos propt and type in a command, the ip address, and a message and it will pop up on any machine that has the service running. If you read through the services list there is alot of items that be be disabled. I do that on every install. Along with disabling alot of the remote items such as remote registry, remote admin logins, remote access items such as desktop help and routing help. Alot of things that most people will never use that can be a big security flaw. If you find that occationaly with XP that your surfing is really slow you can also disable the autoupdates (you just have to go download them from the site on your own).
    Just read through the list of services and be selective of what you stop and disable. Probley not a good idea for the non-computer folks.

[​IMG]
    here is a screen shot of the services I have disabled for the non-computer savy folks this might be a start to higher security settings. Everything seems to work for me. I have several other things that where set to auto start I changed to manual.
    If your on dialup its probley not as big of a deal as those on broadband and are connected all the time.
    (I take no responsibility for those that change things in the services, if you kill your machine its not my fault /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Pop-up blockers just mask the actual problem. If you're getting so many popups that you think you need a blocker then you have malware on your machine that's using up resources, slowing it down and possibly reporting back to someone about where you're going on the internet. So you install a popup blocker and now you have to run yet another piece of software in memory, slowing down the machine, prolonging startup and shutdown times, etc. Do yourself a favor and figure out what is causing the popups rather than just covering them up with even more software.

Do a google search on Hijackthis, cwshredder, and kill2me. AdAware from www.lavasoftusa.com works well to get rid of alot of the malware, and also just going to add/remove programs on your machine and looking for anything suspicious. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and go to the task manager to see what's running, then google every single process to see what's running it, odds are you'll find some that are spyware programs running int he background. This way you can find instructions on how to remove them. Be aware that MANY so-called spyware removal tools and popup blockers are themselves spyware and will cause more popups and system slowdowns.