Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a good transmission shop near Modesto....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by blazer88k5, Dec 4, 2002.

1. blazer88k5

blazer88k5 1/2 ton status

Ok..... I give up!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif , there is a tapping noise coming from my tranny, the fly wheel was replaced ( by a friend) a few months back, I dunno now if that is part of the problem or not, this just started. Pulled the inspection plate off and found that 2 of the bolts holding the tranny on were LOOSE!!tightned those up, noise went away for a few hours then came back, no wear marks on anything, I shimmed the starter? Like I said.. I am running out of ideas??I can't figure it out!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Has this happend to anyone else?? If not how about a good tranny shop in the area???
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmmm....Two of the bolts holding the tranny to the engine were loose? You don't have to remove the cover for that...Do you mean the bolts holding the torque converter to the flywheel? Can ya describe the noise a bit more?

3. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

I went down to help him yesterday. Originally we thought the flywheel bolts could be loose, we pulled the inspection cover, and it was all tight!!!. As we got ready to put it back together I looked up and noticed daylight between the bell housing and the block.........Randy found two of the bolts loose on the driver side lower bell housing. He tightened those and I put the starter back in. The noise seemed to go away. We put the cover back up and the noise was there slightly. I moved the starter on the bolts to the right, and it went away. He drove about 50 miles and the noise came back. Sounds to me like the flywheel teeth are rubbing. I think the nose cone on the starter could have something to do with it, I could be wrong. It's been known to happen quite often before. I'm not all that good with daignostic, I just klnow how to pull the bolts and replace the broken thingie. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. crawlerfj40

crawlerfj40 1/2 ton status

Call Mike 209 410 0597 Tell him Blevins Told you to call him, transmission is his life he does all are trans build ups for us.Kevin Sierra off /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif -Road

5. blazer88k5

blazer88k5 1/2 ton status

I will call him in the morning!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks a WHOLE bunch!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I really miss not driving my truck!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If this is an automatic you may have cracked the flexplate when the tranny bell bolts came loose. You might be able to look up in there carefully and see something, but probably will have to pull the trans back out to really see it. They are common to break and they break in 2 places, 1 around the bolt circle where it bolts to the crank and also through all the 6 large holes in the flexplate. Just an idea.

7. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

It is an auto and he just had the flex plate replaced because the outer ring teeth were so thin that the starter was stripping the teeth off of it. Is there any movement that is noticable from the bottom inspection cover if there is a crack??? I really suck at diagnosing the problem, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif but if I know the problem I can replace the broken part.