Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a little assistance from the Brotherhood...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fabjunkie, Sep 10, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to figure out how to get the Blazer the 500 mile trek to it's new home in Tulsa from Houston. I don't think that Uhaul or the like is going to have a trailer big enough and the one I can borrow from my father in law is 82" between the rails, while the outside width of my tires is about 85".

Can anyone on here help in any way, hot shot or let me borrow a trailer that is wide enough? :o A transporter would be out of my price range to do and the only other two options I can come up with are to get some take-offs at a tire shop (to fit on the father-in-laws trailer) if I can find some for a decent price or to get a tow bar and flat tow it, which is my last choice. Flat tow just seems to leave the door open for possible problems as I haven't gone through the front end yet and I'm not sure how much I trust it for that long of a trip. I'm just trying to figure out the cheapest/easiest way to do this and am all ears to suggestions.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Can you not just drive it there?:dunno:

3. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I wouldnt want to flat tow it just stuff that doesnt need to be done. im sure you can find a really crappy set of tires and wheels for cheap and borrow the trailer. thats what i would do!

4. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I'm more fearful of driving it that far than flat towing it. Plus I might as well pay the transporter! :doah:

I also have to move another vehicle at the same time plus the moving truck. I was going to pull the Blazer with the moving truck on the borrowed trailer and the dd ('97 Grand Prix) behind my mom's Exploder with a rented trailer. Then she could pull the empty borrowed trailer back to Houston.

It looks like finding some craptastic wheels and tires is probably the best bet. I just don't know where I'm going to haul the 4 36's that I take off. I'm probably going to have the moving truck pretty full after the garage and furniture. The wifes truck will already be in Ok......hmmmm if I swap tires before I driver her up there.....man I better get to searching. Or I could stack them all inside if they'll fit with the two full size spares that are already in there. How many Swampers can you fit in an Exploder? :thinking: :haha:

5. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you can't just drive onto the rails of the trailer? thats what i do.

IMAG0149[1].JPG

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I've run into this a couple of times. I used a trailer once, and one of those tow carrier gizmos that simply carry one end of the rig and the other end rides on the other two rig tires. I say go the small cheap tires route as suggested. But, you don't need 4, just 2. Put the 2 small ones on the end that is going on the trailer, or in the carrier and you are good to go.

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Shouldn't that truck have been loaded the other direction, so as to put the weight of the motor over the tongue? :dunno:

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Check the salvage yards. The Jap trucks have been using skinny 6 lug wheels for 30 years. I think you also will want to remove the rear driveshaft.

9. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen the trailer, but I think the rails on it are a little taller than what you've got there and I'd have to squeeze between them.

Focking geniouses! I didn't even think of doing just the front two, dropping the shaft and putting it on a dolly. I just put the rear end in, so I know that it will be good to run on.....I hope.:crazy::D Once again my $25 dues has paid for itself. Thanks guys! :waytogo:

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep - U Haul will fit if you buy the insurance.

[​IMG]

11. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

That's good to know. But does the insurance make it wider? :D

Only problem is that their website says the Blazer is too heavy for their equipment. :rolleyes: I was just going to tell them that I'm pulling the Grand Prix, but use it for the Blazer. For a dolly, maximum outside to outside tire is 72". Is this feasible to do? I'd rather do a dolly so I only have to get two rims/tires. The trailer max width is 79.25", but is $100 more.

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

what are you towing it with?

[​IMG]

here in az they have some beefy trailers for rent at equipment rental places, larger and stronger then u-hauls stuff.

and the kicker...its even cheaper :) this one was 70.00 I rented it on friday afternoon, had a one day rental, and they are closed on sunday so it was due back monday.. cheap if you time it for that.

call up equipment rental places, and dont use a u-haul trailer if you plan to do something other than what you tell them...or your on your own if ya kill it.

13. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Tell them its an s-10 blazer, I think they'll buy that :wink1:

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

With small stock tires, the dolly should work. You have to be careful when you rent trailers. I went to one yard and rented a large flatbed when I bought one of my 74's. I never told them what it was for apparently. I went to Berkeley and picked the rig up, pulled it onto the trailer, set the E-brake and off I went. Come to find out I was way off in the legal dept. The trailer is supposed to have all kinds of straps to lock it down like the tow companies do and the trailer is supposed to be rated for cars and trucks, not just tractors and heavy equipment. I learned this when I went to rent it again and the guy asked me what I was doing and then wouldn't rent it to me when I told him. Call around to different rental places and ask the track width on the dolly. I found it varied from place to place.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You need a towbar. The towed vehicle has all four wheels on the ground, the ideal way to tow oversized vehicles. Have you ever seen these Hunormous RV's with the little vehicle being towed right behind them without a dolly or trailer? It's the wonder of the tow bar.
    I've used towbars a few times, most memorably when I picked up a 79 K5 on 38's with a big lift (my 88 K5 TV was on 33's with a mild lift), most recently when I picked up my new Blazer.

You basically leave the key in to keep the steering unlocked, and put the truck in nuetral. It will steer itself in response to the towing force.

Tool rental places should have them pretty cheap, just make sure you get one rated for your vehicles wieght. I don't even think about the whole trailer/dolly junk anymore unless I need to tow something without a real front bumper.

Here's one from a quick google, although this one looks like a permenant install, which you probably don't want:
    http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200314983_200314983.htm

Here's the one I used when I towed the oversized junker home, went I think over 100 miles with only a quick tightening after the first few miles:
    [​IMG]

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Oh boy.....there's a recent thread on this topic. It's in 79Sub's paint thread I think. Comes down to doing what ever makes the tongue weight right. If that means parking it on it's roof sideways across the rear of the trailer, then that's what you need to do.

I've towed my 'glass Dune Buggy all over So. CA with a tow bar. I do not like them in the least. The only brakes you have are those on the tow rig.

The attitude of the tow bar is crucial. If too high in the rear the towed vehicle wants to come over the top of it in a panic stop. If too low in the rear the towed vehicle lifts the rear of towing rig up, lessening it rear brake effectiveness and making things really squirrelly.

Biggest issue I see with a narrow trailer is NOT driving on the trailer fenders. They're only sheetmetal and will bend. I have a locally owned tire shop that I have gotten May-Pop's on steelies from in the past for next to nothing.

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i think thats the best idea myself.

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, good point, I knew I was riding it on the edge with that one, but it was the kind of thing where I drove all the way the heck out there to get it on a sunday. I found out the angle too late and decided to do it anyway. It worked out flawlessly, though. Heck, anything you tow a 5000lb truck on is gonna be a PITA in a panic stop, and I've found trailer brake setups are pretty uncommon for once-in-a-while tow vehicles...

I'm still rooting for the tow bar for this case, I think it makes more sense than trying to skirt things and force-fit the rig on a trailer. But I agree, for regular towing, a good trailer setup is better than a towbar.

Supersize's rental trailer looks pretty good, too.

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ummm...nevermind. I don't know where I started reading this thread, I just saw the first post and noticed you already looked at towbar and flat tow options... :ignore: :screwy: :ignore: :dunno: :what: :what:

20. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I can't find anything on the net for trailers like Supersize's. Plus I need it to be one way as the truck I'm pulling it up with is staying there. Another reason I pretty much have to pass on the father in laws. U-haul is the only one that will rent a trailer without a truck. I went up there today and did some talking and measuring. The guy working got me around the weight issue by putting it in as a 2wd short bed 1/2 ton. There was a few hundred pound difference between that and the Blazer, not enough to hurt anything I suspect.

The trailer in Cbbr's pic looks like the smaller one. They have one that is a little bigger, 79" where the yellow line is and 81" where the red line is in my masterpiece below. The black lines being the 1" wide raised part on the "ramps".
    [​IMG]

The fenders fold outward but have a peice that still sticks up on each side. So I'm thinking that I can put smaller tires on just the front to get through that and be able to use the tire tie downs. My track width on the rear is about 82". Does anyone see anything wrong with have the tires sitting over an inch or two on each side in the rear as long as the front is secured good?

I talked to a friend of my father in laws about doing a hot shot load up there with the Blazer and he said to expect $2 a mile. Well, for 500 miles, that's just not an option.

I think where we're at now is I'm going to haul the dd (Grand Prix) up this weekend on a dolly with the wife's truck when I drive her up there. Then I'll drive the Blazer for a couple of weeks til I follow and put it on the Uhaul trailer behind their truck. I'm tired and sick of trying to figure all this bs out so I'm going to bed.