Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a little concrete/foundation advice bad

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Mar 23, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Look at these pics and help please.
    We just bought this house almost 3 months ago and are remodeling the entire thing. When we started scraping the linoleum off the laundry room floor tonight we noticed a couple of decent sized cracks. I have included pics, please take a look and let me know if this is a huge problem or if I can float another layer over it and be OK. Maybe even backerboard as we will be tiling this room. This is the lower level of the house on a slab, and this is not very near the foundation walls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help is appreciated, wife is really freaked out.

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Alright you bastards, everybody knows their favorite beer and liqour in an instant, but nobody knows about this.

I call bullsh*t!!!!!:p:

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You stole my house's linoleum!

I say, mortar over and ignore

4. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

blacktop it!

I don't know, but looks like your water drain isn't working too well if those cracks are from moisture getting under it.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good plan I'm all for that. Is that sound advice or did you pull it from your nether regions:p:

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I looked down it with a flashlight and the PVC seemed sound as far as I could see, but that's possible. Maybe I'll snake it and make sure there are no obstructions and go from there.

7. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

first off, finish pulling up the rest of your linoleum... head over to home depot in the Flooring section you will find 5 gallon buckets of levelling compound. Pour it over your floor, spread it out, and wait... after it cures, cover with your choice of underlayment and tile/wood/other floor covering, and be done with it. I suggest a 1/8" foam underlayment (Pergo brand works really well) and ceramic tile... though you'd have to put rock board over the underlayment to make the tile stick. If you don't want to deal with the underlayment (it makes **** quiet) then just lay your ceramic tile or new linoleum over the levelling compound and be done.

By the way, Hardi-Backer makes a rock board with an underlayment attached to it, as well as a vapor barrier, which will prevent further cracking on your floor. Also remember to either rebuild the drain hole with proper plumbing supplies, or stuff it full of concrete and cover it for good. If you plan to use that drain for your washer, make sure it is properly plumbed... you may end up destroying some concrete while you have it open like that to make sure it is done right... it will be cheaper to do it now than later when it causes a problem (like the cracking)

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I definitely know how to finish it out if it were not for the crack. I plan on putting down the backer (rock) board and laying the tile over it. But if I could just lay down a layer of self leveling concrete and go from there, then great. I just wasn't sure about the strength and longevity of the self level.

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

If it were mine, Id fill the crack with thinset as you lay the ceramic tile.

10. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The crack is really nothing. Must not have had any control joints like most home don't.

If your really worried about it, before the leveling compound go to a commercial flooring supply house and review the treatments for cracks. There are some mesh and rubber products that come in rolls that you glue down, or you could cut out the crack mix some bonding agent and pour in some 5 star grout that will cost $$$$ a bag.

If you're putting down durock, then forget the crack is even there, just seal and slope to your drain, or space it up.

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Why is the drain there? I would cut a V groove in all the cracks and fill them with epoxy made for repairing concrete, then you are ready for thinset and tile. Cracks like that are not unusual , but it looks like there have been some drainage issues in that room. I would have a plumber investigate that drain before recovering that floor.

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

This is a laundry room right?

The drain would be so if your washer takes a crap, it dosent flood your house and ruin all the hard work your dooing right now. If you use the self leveling stuff, it will make the drain no workey good.
    if you are really worried about the cracks(they dont looks bad at all to me)
    use the epoxy stuff and forget about it.
    Also when you float the tile i would try hard to slope it to the drain so it still works.:D

13. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Not so... the self levelling stuff isn't perfect, and can be made to creat a slop with ease.

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

The slope to the drain is ruined by the cracks anyway (it looks a little like a volcano, with the drain being the crater), they've heaved a little and there's no way it'll drain currently. The tentative plan is seal cracks, self level to get a good starting point, backerboard and then enough mortar under the tiles to create the slope. As a matter of fact I may use thicker backer around the edges of the room and feather the joints to thinner backer in the center in order to achieve this.

Thanks for all the input guys. let me know if anyone sees holes in my plan.