Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a little help on a starter problem.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bennett, Jan 20, 2001.

1. bennett

bennett Registered Member

First off I drive a 90 Full Size Jimmy- its never given me one problem in ten years. My problem starter is on a 92 trooper. Can you guys give me a few suggestions that might help here. The trooper starter was groaning and barley turning the engine over. I put in a new battery and same problem, would barely turn starter. I checked alternator and its ok ... so I yank the starter and had it tested and they say fine....(whew a new one is $159) I decide it must be positive batttery cable to starter. I bypass old cable and same problem....nothing . I bypass old Pos and neg cables and try again... nothing. I check and I am getting power to soldenoid. I am stumped any ideas on what I should be looking for. Please reply even if you think you may have a hunch!
    Thanks

Ken Bennett

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

have you checked your timing? could be advanced or retarded to much this can and will cause the same problem even if it is slightly off it can cause this to happen but still run good once started just something else to check

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. bennett

anybody out there????

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

does it eventually start?---if it doesnt the engine could be bad.

does it have a ground wire, or does it ground against the block when installed? make sure there is no corrosion.

how about the teeth on the starter gear? the flexplate/flywheel?

the starter may work fine with no load while its being tested on the bench, but when its trying to turn the engine over it craps out.

is this the original starter? if it is, you got 8 plus years out of it and that aint to bad...

sorry if these ideas dont help. but its all i can think of besides the timing w/o actually being there.. good luck

AIRBORNE!!

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Check and see if you're not mising a tooth on the flywheel, I may be just spinning where the tooth is missing. Otherwise, check to see if the lead that goes to your distributor is hooked up or loose. Mine feel off when I was adjusting the TV cable and didn't figure it out until after it sat in a parking lot over night. I put it back on and it started right up. Before that it would just simply crank and crank and crank and................... well, you get the idea.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

6. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

try running a code scan on the vehicle and see if any codes come up....I would also get the new starter put it up there and try to crank it...if it starts your old starter was no good. If you get the same problem, return the starter, and then you'll know for sure its not the starter....js

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

When my 89 blazer did this the bearings went bad in the starter.

8. bennett

Hoe difficult is it to replace bearings in a starter and where to you get bearings for a stater... import starter???