Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need a little help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Aug 26, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, its me.

as some of you already know, and most do not. I am no longer in Grass Valley, or even in California for that matter. I am currently sitting in Washington right now.

during my very long and boring drive up here the other night...somewhere along the way the seal on my rear ouptshaft on my t-case gave out. (208 t-case). now it has always leaked to some extent, and i have replace the seal a few times. but this time i lost alomst all of my fluid and coated the underside of my truck nicely :o

i have since crawled under the truck and repalced the seal. i cleaned everything up real nice. i checked everything for any nicks or burrs, i check everything for any excessive movement or "play" and then put in a new seal, and this time i even added a bit of silicon/gasket around the edges of it.

well its still leaking..like it has always done. i can't figure out where it is comming from. it doesn't do it when its sitting, and i have washed the underside of my truck, and no leaks, so i go for a short drive, pull over, and its a mess again under the truck and got tranny fluid all over.

so what am i missing? has anyone else had this problem? any ideal how to stop this leak?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

did you check the slip yolk i have seen some were the devloped a hole int he end near the U-joint. Also did you check the bearing that the slip yolk rides on in the transfer case if that is worn it could cause the transfer case to leak

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

plugged vent tube??

Make sure the vent tube isnt plugged up too.. :crazy: You be careful out there! :crazy:

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

the slip yoke is good, its brand new, and no leaks there.
    not sure on the bearing tho.....wasn't even aware there was one, guess i better pay closer attention..
    i'll have to check and see the next time i get the strenght and energy to pull the drive shaft
    thanks guys

ok my bad, when you say bearing, i think you are refering to the bushing..ok..i'll check that out..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2005