Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a little help with a new to me GMC

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GM-Moxie87, Sep 30, 2006.

1. GM-Moxie87

GM-Moxie87 Newbie

I just bought a 1987 GMC sierra 1500 1/2 ton for 600$, yess thats cheep but its really not that bad so far. the body has minimal rust the engine needs some work and it has a small hole in the dash. it came with a 8 foot fisher plow in good condition wich is still on it because of my stupidity.

This is my problem. the truck has duel tanks. 1 of wich had a hole in it and filled up with water. curriousitly mutilated this cat while i was messing around in the cab i flipped the switch and later that day apon trying to turn it over i sent water and rust into my fuel system. bad yes. very bad. so now i am faced with the problem of cleaning out my fuel system before i even get to play with my new toy. This comming monday i plan on replacing the fuel filter and hoping it starts so i dont have to replace my fuel injectors and what not.

this starts my next problem the truck willnot turn over unless you poor the slightest bit of gassoline down the throttle body. i would like to know what i will have to do to fix this. because once the truck starts it purs like a kitten. im not sure if it sitting for a few months without being run could be the problem but i am interested if any one knows what could possibly be the problem with the truck turrining over without popping the hood.

2. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

do you mean cranks at all (turning over) or just doesnt fire (actually starts)? more descriptive
    and with the fuel lines being full of water and rust. remove the lines from the Throttle body and blow them out with some compr5essed air (remove them from the fuel filters as well
    LUKE

3. GM-Moxie87

GM-Moxie87 Newbie

sorry for the confussion. The motor turns over and fires for a moment. with the gas in the throttle body. The truck ran perfectly when i bought it but had to be started by putting gas down the throttle body. Now it wont start at all becuase i accidentaly switched the gas tank to the tank with water and rust and put gas in the throttle body and tried to fire the engine not knowing i had done any thing wrong until after the fact.