Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED A LITTLE HELP

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 87BrnRsd, Aug 4, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I just bought two new alpine type r 12"s that have 1000w peak power a piece. I also bought a 1600w amp to push them. I know it will sound good, but I also know my stock speakers will just not cut it. I just cant decide on what to get. I dont have that much money, so I want to get new speakers for under $90. I dont need anything too nice, but just nice enough to be able to hear the words with all that bass. I was thinking of maybe just getting some tweeters. Maybe 4 tweeters (2 in the front on the sides of the windhield where the sides of the windshield meet the roof, and 2 on the sides in the back near the back seats facing in). Would this work good enough? Also, what size speakers would be good if I got speakers? Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd save up for some Q-forms kick panels, and then a good quality set of speakers, and a amp too puch them. Till then you can turn the amp for the subs down. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

ok, heres the way to go (igot alpines too and am planning on gettin the ytype-r twelves) Go to circuit city, buy alpine SPS-170A's w/ a warranty (i payed a grandios 100 bucks even) then, tell me where ur gonna mount them, cus if ur going in the door and have power windows, i'll make u a nice set of spacers (i mades om myself and will post pics soon!) and send them ur way. If ur not, do as Z3Pr said and buy the q-forms and Type-R components for a grandios total of around $250. believe me, my friend just got a set of q-forms and they make his components sound like champs, and his are sonys. so imagine what the alpines will be like. As for the amp, i hope tyhats peak power and not rms, cus if its rms, they gonna be bye bye the first time u turn them on. and make sure the rms is under 300Ws, thats what they are rated for. Other than that, just buy good stuff, cus u get good tunes. PM me if u r interested in the spacers too. Hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yes, that is 1600w peak power for the amp. I plan on bridging it from 4 channels into 2, so the subs will be hooked up to 800w of power a piece, then just turning the gain about 1/3 of the way up, and that will be around the rms power of the subs. As far as speakers are concerned, thanks for the info guys. I will look into some q-forms and I plan on going to circuit city tomorrow to look at some speakers. I was thinking of going with some pretty nice kenwood 3 way 6x9's on ebay for $55. I dont know yet though. Keep em comming.
    -Harrison
    BTW My 16th birthday is thursday, so if yall want to get me a little present, be my guest. HAHA /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I just bought two new alpine type r 12"s that have 1000w peak power a piece. I also bought a 1600w amp to push them. I know it will sound good, but I also know my stock speakers will just not cut it. I just cant decide on what to get. I dont have that much money, so I want to get new speakers for under $90. I dont need anything too nice, but just nice enough to be able to hear the words with all that bass. I was thinking of maybe just getting some tweeters. Maybe 4 tweeters (2 in the front on the sides of the windhield where the sides of the windshield meet the roof, and 2 on the sides in the back near the back seats facing in). Would this work good enough? Also, what size speakers would be good if I got speakers? Thanks.
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ]

Harrison,

It sounds like you're on your way to a good system. I think you need to spend some time on the "basics" before you get yourself into trouble though....

1. Speakers don't HAVE watts.....amps have watts. Speakers have a power handling capability which is rated in watts. It seems like a silly distinction but it's kind of like saying "My rear tires have 400HP"!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The engine has the power, the tires only need to handle it....

2. LOTS of bass, but you don't seem to be planning the other 8 octaves of music very carefully. JUST tweeters? Man, that would sound terrible....what about vocals, and upper bass notes.....you need mids for that.

While we're on the subject, if your amp REALLY has the power you say it does....a single pair of 6x9s or coaxials isn't going to keep up at all. Think about it....those subs might be able to put out something like 130 - 140 dBs of sound power at 20 - 80Hz. There isn't a single midrange on the planet that can keep pace with that much output. If you're serious about balancing the sound, you are probably going to have to use at least TWO midbass drivers per side up front and a pretty strong amp to drive them also. Tweeters aren't as problematic....a good set can typically keep up on the really high end of the spectrum.

My suggestion: At least two 6 or 6.5" midbasses in each front door with a heavy amp driving them. Tweeters either down low, and aimed up towards the dome light, or in the tops of the doors and angled towards the front seat listeners as best as you can. Put something cheap in the back for some rear fill....it's a minor part of the "front stage, rear fill" sound principle I use. Using rear 6x9s is overkill IMHO.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif happy 16th! Now that i think of it, i hafto agree with Greg...u need mids...badly. Today im gonna cut a new style of spacer to fit 2 6-1/2" Apline's in the door. or perhaps the 6-1/2's can go into my friends truck and i'll buy to Type-R COmponent Systems for the doors and a stout amp. But, i as i said before. if u want teh spacers, just ask. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Go with the 6 1/2" component setup, you'll thank yourself later. They're bada$$ and sound alot better... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Greg, thanks for the help! You have opened my eyes to mre than a lot of bass with barely ample speakers. I think I am going to start with two 6 1/2's up front, then as I get money each week from my paychecks, add to that. I will not be driving the truck every day until the end of october, so that should give me plenty of time to add to those 6 1/2's before I really have to listen to it. I might get some half way cheap 6x9's for the rear, and a pair of nice tweeters to go along with the front 6 1/2's. I will go to a local store here called "sound sollutions" tomorrow or thursday and ask what they think will work good. I know one of the guys up there so he wont try to just "sell" me something to make money off of. Thanks for the advice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

9. Greg72

Harrison,

No problemo! Audio is a fun hobby (just like K5's)... it takes time to understand the details, but if you're going to spend the time to install a nice system, you might as well think it through and plan carefully to get the most from your efforts!!!

As I've told other people on this board, and in private PMs....don't be in a rush to get the stereo installed. Take the time you need to understand how it's all going to fit and work.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Oh, I am definitely not in a rush. I actually wasnt even going to get a cd player or new speakers or subs until after x-mas, but I stumbled upon a good deal for the subs, amp, box, and wiring so I thought, what the hell. I plan on going up to circuit city in the next week or two, and getting them to put in a cd player for me. I founf one that I like, and it has free installation on it so that is a plus. After I get that in, I will buy some new speakers, and just keep a little out of my paycheck each week to add on. Thanks for all the help guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I was thinking. I am really not going to turn the gain up on my amp very much, because if I want loud bass I would listen to rap, and I isten to pink floyd and led zeppelin. Anyways, I plan on using the subs more for sound quality than loudness, so I got to thinking, do yall think 4 6x9's (2 up front, and 2 out back) would be enough sound? I was looking at some pretty nice (Kenwood I think) 4 way 6x9's that I liked. Anyways, that is about what I have money for right now, but I will definitely add on to those 4 speakers, but was just wondering if that would be enough music.
    -Harrison
    BTW: I have a 1600w amp. Will my stock electrical system be able to handle this amp without killing it?? I am getting a new battery soon, and am getting a 1000cca battery (about the biggest I could find), but will my truck be able to handle the amp??

12. Greg72

Harrison,

A couple of things.....

1. Gain (or "Input Sensitivity which I think is a more appropriate term) shouldn't really be artificially set like that. There is a proper technique for "level setting" which I will have to explain in "The Big Writeup"...but I think you should attempt to set it the right way and then evaluate if it overpowers the rest of the system.

2. 6x9's up front - Pretty much forces you to install in the lower doors, and I don't think you wanted to do that. I'd keep looking for a component set for up front (6.5" mid, and seperate tweeter)

3. 6x9's rear - Sure that's fine, don't spend much money on them though....if you set it up correctly, there won't be much sound coming from them. In fact, I generally like to roll-off MOST of the low-end on a rearfill speaker anyway. There's not much point buying an expensive speaker that can do bass, when you plan to strip out all the bass anyway..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Battery - A bigger battery will help the stereo play LONGER with the engine off......that's about it. For the intantaneous power demands of an audio system (especially a high-powered system) you need stiffening caps. If you are in the 1600W range already....you should be looking to add around 2 farads-worth. General rule of thumb is 1 farad per 1000 Watts. That will do a LOT more to improve sound than even a larger battery or alternator.

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply Greg. Do you have any suggestions on a good/easy place to mount front speakers that isnt in the doors?? I have been trying to think of a good place to mount the fronts but havent been able to think of anything. Thanks.
    -Harrison

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned