Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a little insite

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLZN4FN, Dec 28, 2002.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok Im new to the 1st gen of K5's
    I have had 4 2nd gen k5's in the past.
    I'm going to look at a 70 K5 for sale what should I look for?
    It has 6in lift 36in swampers and 8 lug wheels.
    Also what is a common 8 lug swap? corp 14 rear
    D44 or 60 in ft ?
    thanks for all your help and info.

Bo /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

Hey, i just bought a 72 and have already found out some interesting things I would have looked closer at:
    Mine has those little 260 U-joints in the front axleshafts
    Anything and everything to do with the double floor was rotted out (there was a really good link on here in the last two weeks about rebuilding the subframe on a second(?) gen.

If you plan on dragging the ass end any, you might want to look at the tank and see if you have a large capacity that might get smacked

My roll cage isn't tied in to the frame (yet!)

This year also uses a shorty waterpump and all of the accessories i.e. none of my spare parts fit the belt situation. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

do a search this has been asked before, but the main rust spots to look at are the rocker panels of course, the bottom of the doors, the windshield frame, the rocker boxes and the back corners of the bed of course like any other blazer. That thing has been around 33 years so...it's gonna have a story but just make sure it's not more than you can handle.

4. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

If it is a D44 front, the first gens have the smaller, weaker spindle/bearing/U-joints. Check to see if it was an outers swap or the whole axle. If it's D60, nice find