Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need a MAF sensor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tunedportk5, Jan 9, 2005.

1. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone near me have a extra MAF sensor laying around, think mine is faulty but would hate to buy a new one and fine out thats not the problem

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you have a Camaro service manual?

Used mine to diagnose a code 33, said MAF was bad, replaced it, problem gone. :)

If you go over to thirdgen.org you will see a Wells MAF recommended as being quite cheap, and a very good piece, however, in all honesty, going to speed density is almost a viable option if you have to replace a MAF. :(

Next MAF of mine that dies, I'm going SD.

3. tunedportk5

Yea thats what I have code 33

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If my MAF quit, I'd change to SD rather than replace the MAF myself... ECMs are cheap, and I've got a MAP sensor you could have for the cost of shipping.

Other option is to buy a used one off ebay, you can usually get them for under 100 bucks US + shipping

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is why speed density is better in our situation. MAF sensors DO NOT like dirt or vibration. Our rigs are subjected to both. Besides that i bet you found out how much a new MAF sensor cost and that's why you're looking here for a used one from someone.

6. dyeager535

Try disconnecting the plug to MAF, clean the terminals, and put it back together, see if it comes back.

Mine was popping the code after about 5 seconds of engine run time. Cleaning terminals didn't help in my situation, since the sensor was bad, but mine has died just randomly while driving twice on me, and I suspect its from bad/weak MAF connections.

It seems that the MAF connections of all things in the system are prone to be poor. I was thinking of putting some sort of conductive gel on them to make sure that wasn't the cause, just never got around to it. It would easily start after the random dying, and popped a code one time, but I didn't have a paperclip handy to see what had triggered it.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You could try gently cleaning the wires and the little sensor with a Q tip and mild solution of dish soap and water. Do Not use solvent!
    I have cleaned many MAF sensors and they work fine after that. If you are running a K&N filter the oil from the filter sticks to MAF sensors and gets them dirty.
    Clean it before you replace it if it is bad you sure cant hurt it.

8. tunedportk5

I'd like to change to a MAP system but not sure whats involved.I'm out side working on it now finishing up air injection and replacing some EGR things, reg is going to be up and need to take it to SMOG referee

9. dyeager535

www.thirdgen.org and look for conversion from MAF to MAP, or from the '165 ECM to '730.

It's not OVERLY complicated, and again, I think a MAP is $20. :blush: