Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a measurement from those with custom racing seats

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, May 11, 2005.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Can you measure how far from the floor the bottom of the seat is? (Front and back) Thanks!

In comparison to the stock seat location, it looks like the seats are mounted so as to put my line of sight in the center of the windshield. (I'm 6')

2. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Fred,

you may remember the driver's seat in my K5: it is a Mastercraft Pro with a 2"" lower seat cushion; reason for the lower cushion was that I'm 6"1 and I wanted to make sure the headrest came up a bit higher than ear level, don't want a low headrest to aid in snapping my neck in case of being rear-ended.

The (uncompressed - as in nobody sitting in it) seating surface in front is 13" from the floor, the rear is about 6.5" from the floor (a bit difficult to measure). My seat is mounted on the stock slider brackets from an '85; these brackets have a built-in slope. This means the seat moves up when moved forward, maybe by 1" total. The measurement above was taken with the seat in the rearmost position. This position puts my line of sight I'd say 1" below windshield center, but more importantly puts my head about 5" from the cage. I've recently been toying with the idea to raise the rear of the seat bracket by 1" for a bit improved trail vision, for street I like the 'reclined cradle'.

Funniest comment about my seat came recently from my 4-year old nephew when on visit from Germany: "Claudia, why does Ucle Michael have a child's seat?" :)

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Michael! I appreciate it. When you guys coming out to visit next?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you need more measurements, lemme know... I can check mine. I have corbeau baja ss seats in my k5.

j

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Yeah, that would be great j. I'm doing the install tomorrow. thanks!

6. jms

Won't have any real wheels next time we're in AZ, both K5 and Cruiser are here getting worked on. The Cruiser is just about to have all wires cut out for installation of a new harness. The harsh ride has drastically improved since we put real bushings in springs and shackles: bushings on the frame end of the shackles on both ends were totally shot, with metal-to-metal contact. I've put my passenger seat in the Cruiser to see what a suspension seat does for the ride, and it also helps a lot. However, that is also a Mastercraft seat, and it is too wide - one can hardly reach the door handle. We're looking into a PRP seat - they make one that's 19" rather than the 22" of the Mastercrafts. Being able to open the door from the inside is a good thing... For a while I thought the rear add-a-leaf in the Cruiser needs to go, but with bushings and a good seat, I dunno: I didn't see any wheelhop on the trails at EJS, so we'll leave that alone. Some work on the tub re rust/paint/insulation/carpet is next...

7. jms

I've done the seat mock-up with wood and vise grips etc. Interesting feeling when you're sitting in it to try it out and the vise-grip slips and lets the stack-o-wood go on one side... :) Have fun with the install.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'll get those measurements for ya tomorow morning... I happen to be 6' tall too, and I have the seats set up so I sit up nice and high (a 6'3" guy wouldn't like riding in my drivers seat) for a better view. Works great.

j

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

hmm well a pic says a thousand words? :D

this pic clearly shows the hight of the seat in relation to the stock steering wheel, as for under the seat I have about 8-10 inches off the floor

[​IMG]