Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a new alternator on my TBI....reccomendations?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhilS10HO, Jan 24, 2007.

1. PhilS10HO

PhilS10HO Registered Member

My truck is an 87 gmc 1/2 ton TBI350. My stock alt can't handle my 400 watt amp powering one ten inch sub anymore. What is the stock output? 60-70? I'm looking for a 105 amp alt. Did some searching online, but there's so many. 1,2,3 wire and such. Would like to stay declo, but I don't want to spend a fortune on this thing. I need some recomendations on what specific alt you would have me use. Links to online stores would be great. I only have a NAPA here and they're not the greatest. Thanks guys

Phil

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have an 87ish TBi motor and the alternator onit was stock at 115 or so amps. This was in a suburban. Perhaps you could look around and find one for a sub instead of a truck?

I would think 105 to 115 amps would be good. Are you sure that you only have a 60/70 amp unit as it is?

3. PhilS10HO

I was asking what the stock output is. There's only one junk yard here, and the owner kinda hoards all the GM truck stuff. I think i'd rather just buy a new one and know what I have.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Stock output depended on what the vehicle came with. Later typically higher rated. I've seen stock truck alternators as low as 37 amps. :)

5. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

I just got a 100amp alt from Summit, it is also Summit brand and I paid like $90. It took about ten minutes to put it in cuz it was a fact replacement.

6. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

maybe u could get one of the slighty high power alternators that they are talking about, but to go with it, you could get a compasitor, to go with the amp, it just gathers up a charge from the amp while the bass isnt too loud to power the next bass hit. my friends head lights dimmed a lot before, but now hes fine. i think they're around $80 if im not mistakin:crazy:

7. PhilS10HO

Would you happen to have a link to that? I just looked and only found 2 alts for my app. Both were pricy.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got a 140a factory replacement from NAPA.

9. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Go with a CS144 retrofit.

10. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

11. PhilS10HO

my alt doesn't take a v style belt.

Phil

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  12. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

13. PhilS10HO

So what are all you tbi guys using? What's the belt style pulley called that i'm using? The name of it's right there. Dunno why it's not coming to me.

Phil

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

60 amp is standard alt for TBI but 105 amp was an option.
    Have you tried going to your NAPA? They should have a 105 amp direct replacement alt for your truck. 105 amp is a stock alternator with AC and towing package. My 89 Blazer has a 105 amp alternator. They are very common. Every auto parts store carries them. I know for a fact Checker and AZ have them. I am sure napa does too.

15. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

Are you thinking serpentine? Thats the belt style you have.

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

not sure if they are different from 87 to 89, but i am running the stock alternator on mine, with two amps running, one is a 1500w and the other is a 400w unit, the only issues i have are the lights will dim down alittle when the bass hits, only on very loud settings,,,

you sure something else is not wrong with the alternator or electrical system?

a 400 watt amp is really shouldn't have that big of a draw on your charging system.
    i know if your battery won't hold it's charge like it should, this will cause some issues as well.

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah I was thinking bad or weak battery too.A 400 watt amp really isn't much of a draw.

18. PhilS10HO

Okay, so I called napa today. They said they only had 2 alts for my truck. a 90 amp for $130 and a 100 amp for $600 something :eek1: . I don't think it's my battery. I had this same amp/sub set up was in my 97 Blazer. Which has a 90amp alt. It dimmed my lights when it hit hard. My friend had a 400 pushing an 8 in his 99 blazer, and soon after install his alt died. So I don't know what to do now. Can't seem to locate an alt for my truck.

Phil

19. PhilS10HO

I called a out of my way parts sote for the 105 amp alt. $150 for a delco reman. Looks like my only option, but what do you guys think of the price. I just realised me battery is something like 4 years old. Everstart 1N.

Phil

20. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I'd say your battery is just about dead, that's about the max life you get out of them around here anyways, have it checked..

Curiuos,,,what amp are you running, how old is this thing??

for a 400watt amp to dim your lights and only pushing one 10" sub, it sounds to me like a very outdated model and very inefficient.

again, with my 400watt amp pushing the mids and highs (total of 6 speakers) and the 1500watt class D mono amp pushing two 15" Kickers, mine only starts to drop the voltage and headlights at a pretty good level of noise.

I also have not installed any caps or any other devices to aide in this issue.