Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need a new alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Dec 17, 2006.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody, the alternator on the CUCV is frazzled. so i need to either replace or rebuild it. Funny thing is it seems to be a replacement alternator already. The alternator putting out the correct 14.7 volts looks like the original Delco-Remi (sp), the alternator thats crapped out is a wilson model, never heard of em. its only puttin out 11.6 volts.

My question is, do the military 6.2L diesels use a special alternator? or are they the same ones found on the 350 or 305 engines?

2. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

I did a little reading and noted something about floating grounds, and the alternators being wired in series like the batteries and then wired in parralell with the batteries.

the alternator that has crapped out is the driver side. with the ground to the engine block. If i understand the wiring correctly (i dont have a schematic) i can just get a regular, civilian 12V 100 amp alternator and put it in as far as the electronics go, but somewhere i thought i read the mounts were different.

I also found a rebuild kit on summit but dont know if it will work with this wilson alternator. im a bit confused at this point.

part numbers at this point would be greatly appriciated.

3. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

www.alternatorparts.com

General Motors, Delco-Remy 27-SI type 80- 100 amp Internal Regulator Alternator
    PART # D1-5027 $13.95
    GM LARGE CASE ALTERNATOR REPAIR KIT
    Fits 27-SI Series alternators using 80-100 amps.
    Click Here for Kit Contents

this looks like what i would want, but i dont know with that weird wilson alternator. yall think id be better off with a replacement alternator, or just the rebuild kit?

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Ehh. With the possible exception of the M1010's (which I have heard have a single 24V alternator, as they have factory AC) ... all the CUCV's use two alternators, one with floating ground so that its negative side goes to the 12V part.

The batteries go in series, right, from ground to 12V, to 24V on the far side.

The alternators ALSO go in series, with one across the first battery and one across the second. GOOFY! :rolleyes:

They may both be floating ground, actually, with the negative on the first one strapped to ground. Mine haven't gone out yet so I've not had to find out.

Anyway, I am hoping that when mine go, I can find a local place to rebuild them as is. If you do go searching for a replacement, be sure not to get the 24V ones from the M1010 and the HMMWV's, which seem to show up on Ebay with some frequency. (Some are upwards of 200A, which sounds nice ... but the 24V part would mean it would NOT drop in for you.)

Hope that helps. Should you find an off-the-shelf one with floating ground, lemme know ... but I doubt that Vatozone, Checker/Shucks/Kragen, et al will be much help. Best bet for a new one is likely gonna be military surplus, like the guys who sell HMMWV parts.

-- A

5. dremu

And after all of that, you said "alternator", as in singular.

If you've converted to 12V, you would only need a stock replacement type, could prolly use anything. Otherwise, do you have one, or two?

-- A

6. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

sorry to confuse, i do have two alternators, the description above cites the factory looking delco-remi on the passenger side as putting out 14.7 volts or so, and the driver side alternator, which is grounded to the engine block is only putting out 11.6 or so volts.

I just have no idea what part number, or model alternators these M1009 trucks have. I can rebuild it myself if i can find a kit, i just dont know what kit to order.

The crapped out alternator looks like a cheap replacement part,

Wilson 1105500, 12V R12.

i think the previous owner put it on there. it seems to be leaking a fluid around the two pin connector. i dont know anything about this alternator and am looking to probly buy the correct delco-remi alternator to put in its place.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't know of anyone that actually made new cases for these alternators. More than likely it IS a stock case, just rebuilt. (typically they grind off the AC numbers/ID) I'd be real surprised if a rebuild kit for the stock application alternator didn't work, IF you can even find one for a CUCV easily.

8. dremu

Well, I've not torn into one yet -- haven't had to, yet! -- but I would imagine that you could rebuild your existing one with the kit ... just note how your old one is put together, i.e. the ground strap or whatever, and do the same thing when you put it back together.

They can't be THAT different from a stock one, 'cuz the General was lazy when they made the CUCV :D

-- A