Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a new cam

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Apr 1, 2006.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

71 blazer. 91 block, 10-1 comp, sportsman II heads, rpm intake, 670 truck avenger, 2.25 duals, rams horn manifolds, need a roller cam upgrade.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

With your combo, sounds like you need something fairly aggressive.

You could look on ebay or thirdgen.org for a used gen I roller cam setup, I think some of the later Vette and F-body stuff was decently aggressive, I'd expect quite a bit over what the trucks got.

They should be pretty cheap too.

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Are you thinking of something like that LT4 Hot Cam kit (PN 24502586)?

4. dyeager535

Heck, I was thinking of something as archaic as a later L98 cam, but the LT4 cam rings a bell as something they "step up" to as well.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i got a 1991 L05 caprice motor.. just put the small comp cams xtreme 4x4 roller cam in... LOVE IT!!!!!! .454" lift and ALOT OF DURATION!!! truck has never pulled so hard on acceleration!!!! :bow:

I went mild as I didnt want to do all the head work to get a bigger cam in there.. plus the .474" lift cam started making power from 1200rpm's and the cam I chose right behind it is idle to 5000rpms :wink1:

6. dyeager535

What did your cam cost? I recall mine somewhere over $200, that was the only reason I suggested a used one from an existing application, IF there is a big enough difference to make it worthwhile.

This is the one you have then: http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=12-411-8

Looks like the L98 cam was pretty weak, but the ZZ4 wasn't:

http://chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/p123440_image_large.jpg

LT1 cams don'tt look horrible, but you must run an electric fuel pump to use it. http://www.malcams.com/legacy/misc/CamData.htm

7. RootBreaker

here is the one I got
    http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=12-409-8

i didnt go with the others as vortec heads are supposedly good to .480" lift.. and .474 was pushing it... however do screw in studs, bigger springs, need machined spring seats... would have cost me an extra $300.. thus why I went with a smaller cam.... plus the .474 lift cam started making power at a different rpm.....

anyway I paid $255 to my door from summitracing.com
    this be the one
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D08%2D409%2D8&N=4294887637+115&autoview=sku

8. garlicbreath

I do already have a holley blue electric pump so thats not an issue. I was actually looking somewhere around .510-.540 lift. Would that be too much?

9. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

call comp cams on their hot line and they will give you a cam perfectly matched to your application.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd just go with the GM Performance Parts LT4 Hot Cam, its cheaper than most aftermarket roller cams, and is a decent mid range power option. Haven't tested mine out yet but hope to soon. If you want a really mild camshaft, there is the stock LT4 camshaft.

11. RootBreaker

like I said.. depends on where you want your power at... with the .474 cam I was looking at 1200rpm to start making power. .so with that cam id say maybe 1500rpm's.. yeah more hp and torque... but gotta have it where you want.... i sacrificed hp and torque to be at idle...

what do you wanna do with the mods? rocks, mud, ralley, street???

12. RootBreaker

that cam is a 1800rpm and up cam.... so we still need to know what he wants to do with it.... :crazy:

got my info from http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL%2D24502586&N=115&autoview=sku

for a minute there I almost was dissappointed I didnt go with that cam... $208 vs $245 for mine and that one has a .492" lift!!!!! but too much lift for me :haha:

13. dyeager535

I'd say with the RPM intake and good flowing heads he has, he'll want to focus a bit higher in the RPM range than most of us(?) do. You've got the parts to make power higher up. I personally would sacrifice a bit on the low end to get a bit more top end with my current engine, but that's me.

Still running manifolds, I'd also suggest sticking to a dual pattern cam. As suggested, the cam manufacturers are more than happy to take your usage and hardware into account and suggest something for you.

14. garlicbreath

See, I have the heart of a hot rodder, but decided along time ago to have my fun where the cops don't go. I love the lope of a built motor. How much does duration affect things? I could call a cam maker, but real world advice from guys who use the stuff makes alot of sense also.