Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a new gas tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Apr 14, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well my gas tank started leaking again from the patch job I have done on it. It has been sitting for a few months and I guess it didn't want to hold any more. I will be home in a few weeks and need to change it ASAP. I want a stock replacement or a good substitute. I will want to also get new straps at the same time. Could someone post some links or good sites I can look at?

I tried Jegs and Summit and didn't seem to find anything.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

gass tank

try LMC TRUCK they have everything u will need and more ... make a list.. :xmas: :xmas:

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I don't know how much it would be to get one from Rick's Hot Rod Shop, but it's made out of stainless so it'll last you a lifetime.

4. stallion85

I have LMC catalogs at home, I guess I will have to wait till I get back home to look at them.

Isn't there some sort of plastic replacement tanks you can buy???

I know plastic and gas don't mix, but IIRC there was some sort of alternative to metal tanks?

Anybody know what I am talking about?

5. stallion85

Nice tanks, but they look a little pricey for my rig. Especially since it is pretty much off-road only.

6. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

7. stallion85

1982 - 1986 Chevrolet Blazer - Full Size with 106.5" Wheelbase, 31-gallon Rear-mount Tank Steel Gas Tank Each ZX862170W $179.95
    1982 - 1986 Chevrolet Blazer - Full Size with 106.5" Wheelbase, 25-gallon Rear-mount Tank Steel Gas Tank Each ZX862180N $169.95

Question? If my original tank was a 25 gallon, what would be involved in putting a 31 gallon in instead? I am carberated and have a mech fuel pump. I am assuming the sending unit?

Fierospeeder-thanks for the JC whitney link. Found the tank pretty quick!

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't recall where I got mine, bought it about 2 years ago, steel, baffled, $140. Heck, this is cheaper than what I paid back then!

K5 31 gal tank

That should be a baffled (for TBI) tank, which is nothing but better than non-b affled.

Oh, for the 25-31 gallon swap, you'd need new tank straps and a 31 gallon sending unit. Both should be exceedingly common at wrecking yards, if you don't mind going to them. (or in the parts for sale here)

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Just weld it:weld::whistle::yikes::thumb:

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Try here...

I have a place in a nearby town that sells new ones they make cheap--Autozone sells their brand,but mark up the price quite a bit--I paid 100 bucks for a stock replacement for a K5 a few years ago from this place..not sure if they still have plastic tanks available--they did a few years ago..

The name is Spectre manufacturing,they are based in Canada I think,but have warehouses all over the U.S....You can find them on a Google search by typing in their name--they sell oil pans and gas tank straps,sending units,radiators,heater cores and a few other products as well...I got my oilpan there for my 305 for 50 bucks brand new...

There are lots of places selling gas tanks now,look on google,there are a good many places advertising them..Hope this helps you out!