Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need a new gas tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by harrisonj_32, Feb 9, 2006.

1. harrisonj_32

harrisonj_32 Registered Member

Jul 29, 2005
    I need to put a new tank or a good tankin my 1969 blazer. any advice?
  2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Get a plastic one, if you can.
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

Plastic IS a good idea if you live in a salt state like MA!..J.C. Whitney used to carry them for 69-72 K5's,not sure if they still do..they had steel tanks too,both OEM size,and "extra capacity" ones..they might not list them now,I looked into buying one in 1986 when I had a 72 and a 71 K5....wont hurt to look I guess..they were expensive even then though!..

I didn't have 300 bucks to spend,couldn't find a good used one either,so I tried looking under other vehicles for one I could stuff under it at least temporarily..I drove 60 miles each way to work,and the outhboard motor tank in the cab I was using to get by,was smelly,dangerous,and I had to fill it every trip!..:doah:

I ended up using one from a 78 G-10 Chevy Van,it had the filler neck pointing the right way,and it was about the same size..I used metal strapping instead of the original straps,they were too short..it worked ok for about 3 months,but I did eventually luck out and found a Blazer one junkyard got that was T-boned,and it had a tank only a year old in it,still had the parts tag on it!--and the guy called me and asked if I was still looking for one!..I bought it right away...:laugh:

The guy at the junkyard also said he thought a Dodge Ramcharger tank might be a close fit,and they are plastic tanks factory!..the sendint unit would not "jive" with a GM gas gauge though..that could be worked around if it would fit..:crazy:
  4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Jun 2, 2001
    I have a metal one out of my 68 burb same tank. would be odd to ship though.