Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a new oil pan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Apr 10, 2006.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I finally pulled my 350 out and need to find a new oil pan. It's a 91, 1 piece seal. It had the factory cop car pan wich has some good baffling but it got smashed right by the plug and ALWAYS leaked. I don't really want to spend over a hundred bucks. Any recomendations?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

junkyard, just find a standard 1 piece rear main pan. My 383 was originally started with a 9c1(police caprice) engine, the pan is no different than a truck pan. Mine wasn't anyway.

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

or like 30 bucks from summit for a new one.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Autozone!!..

I found a "Spectre" OEM style oil pan for my
    86 305,for about 35 bucks new at a wholesale place that sells them to stores..Autozone sells them for about 50 bucks..:crazy:

5. garlicbreath

I tried summit, they only offer their pans for 86 and older one piece seal deals. 87+ they said I have to go with Milodon or another aftermarket one.

6. diesel4me

how about..

Did you call a GM dealership parts dept??...their price might not be as bad as you think!..I've been pleasantly suprised recently to find many dealer parts cost about the same,or even less than aftermarket..and are usually better OEM quality too..like exhaust manifolds I got for 55 bucks each!..the JUNKYARD wanted more for USED ones!:eek1: :crazy: ...

7. garlicbreath

Yup, they wanted 189 for a new oil pan!!

8. diesel4me

Yipe!!!

:yikes: :screwy: :screwy: ....geez...for something not much more complicated than a cake pan...you'd think it wouldn't cost THAT much for one!...:doah: ..

But then,those one peice gaskets cost 40 bucks too!:eek1:

I get crazy price quotes from dealers here too..usually if I call and use my friends garage's name and account,and pay cash,I get a LOT knocked off the price!...parts counters have 3 price ranges."LIST" price for"walk in" customers who are just average Joe's,"Dealer" cost for those who have an account with them,and "Wholesale" to other dealers and large volume accounts..

Some also have a "get as much as you can from that noob" price too,and you'll notice the recepit you get is handwritten,rather than a computer printout..that's when the parts guy needs a boat payment,or wants free beer for the weekend,a nice meal at a fancy resturaunt,etc..or feels you wasted too much of his time looking up "antique" parts that are obsolete,or required a lot of searching..:doah: ..happens a LOT around here...:crazy: