Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need a new speedometer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Nov 3, 2005.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

my speedometer is screwed up in my '84 Silverado Blazer. I was wondering if there is a 100 mph or 120 mph speedo available for a direct swap. Also, Can I wire up a factory tach? where does my fuel gauge go? In the clock? I've never seen a factory tach, but I've been told they go in the right hand large spot where my fuel gauge is. How do they wire up? Anything special?

Is there anywhere I can get these replacement gauges?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a guage cluster from an 84 chevy truck that i don't need. It is missing one of the gauges and right now i can't remember which gauge but the speedo is there for sure and as far as i know it still works. If you only want the speedo shoot me a PM with an offer.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There in the LMC catalogue , their in junkyards , there in some ck5 members backyards .

If your truck has a computer , you may need the speedometer type you have

. If your 84 has , or had ESC only , you can probably run the older speedometer which reads higher mph .

4. WantedaDodge

Hmm... I wonder if that's whats going on. See the speedo reads high. I was thinking it was messed up but I'm wondering if one of the connections is just screwed now.

I didn't realize they were special. I am pretty sure it has a computer controlled carb and ignition.

5. pauly383

The speedo reads high becasue of your changes to tire size and gearing .

The speedo sends a speed signal to the computer . No way can the sensor in there can mess up your speeds . It just sees how fast your speedo is going .

Speedo is still driven by a cable from your transfercase , you need to correct the speed mechanically .

6. WantedaDodge

Well, thats what I thought, but I don't see how it could read so high. It's a stock truck, that as far as I know, has had nothing done to it besides 31' tires. The guy I bought it from said it just started reading high one day. Besides, big tires would make it read slow.

I know the front and rear axles are 3.08s. I just had the tranny rebuilt, but it was off before I rebuilt it.
    IT's way off to. When I cruise in the 55 zone, I'm probably going 55 cause cars are passing me like bad mamma jammas and my speedo reads 75....

7. pauly383

Only two things it could be then . A bad speedo , or at one point the transfercase was swapped and the speedo gear is wrong .

You can at least remove the speedo gear , see what color it is , and shine a flashligt inside and see what color the mating gear is . That way we could see what ya got first .

Whats funny is I know what speedo gear I need , and STILL have yet to buy it :wink1:

8. WantedaDodge

after hunting season I will pull it apart and check it!

I'd still like to get a higher speedo if possible though

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

With the same font/colors, there is no stock speedo higher than 85MPH made for your truck.

Either aftermarket, or PERHAPS one of the earlier speedometers (pre 1980 I think) if the cable to speedometer connection is the same, that changed at some point in the 70's as well.