Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a new starter ... and recommendations

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spearchucker, Jan 21, 2004.

1. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

My starter has served a good life for about 8 yrs. Today my Blazer wouldn't start, actually the solenoid wasn't energizing. I had to tap on the solenoid a few times and then it started up. I know that I only need to replace the solenoid but since the starter is so old I decided to replace the entire unit. My question is how do I know how many teeth my flywheel has? It's an 89 Blazer with a 350 tbi mated to a 700r4. I was thinking about getting one of those high torque starters but would like your opinion on them. Also what brand would you recommend?
    TIA

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Need a new start ... and recommendations

167 or 168 is what i believe the number is /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Re: Need a new start ... and recommendations

I went with a stock style replacement from O'Reillys. Lifetime warranty. Ran me about $40. No problems out of it and its been on the truck for about a year. I'm pretty sure its a 168 tooth flywheel too. Someone will chime in that know for sure though.

Kris

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

168 it is ... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Any comments on the high torque starters? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If you are running headers look into a remote solinoid set up. It will help keep the heat fade to a minimum. I usually equate a hi torque with a high compression engine.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If there is a local starter rebuilding shop, check them out befor you shell out your hard earned cash at the parts house.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Apparently (from a magazine test I read awhile back) the high torque starters can "cure" the header heat soak issue as well, so along with a new starter, you could potentially avoid putting in new wiring and a solenoid. FWIW.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Get a AC Delco, they are lifetime warranty also. I personally wont run that parts store crap on my truck. Maybe its because I work at the dealer and see AC Delco all the time but it seems that the Delco stuff fits better and lasts longer.

10. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Well i agree for a stock replacement ya cant beet the acdelco
    but if ya can afford it i do recomend the high torque starter with remote silonoide also
    for the following reason's
    1 less weight = less likly to break starter bolt or crack nose cone or Fup *# the engine block were the bolts go in
    2. long life expentency
    3 header clearence and heat resistance
    4. less amps needed to turn it over i believe
    5. spins motor faster
    6. if ya do beef up your motor ya still got the muscle to spin it
    7, remote sylanoid = fixes problem of heat also and biggest advantage gets those starter wires away from heat and were ya can get to em if somthing does go wrong every body in our little club has converted to this

Guess that its 4 now id give more but im sick of typing :-)
    R

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I didn't think the block breaking issue had anything to do with weight. I thought everyone cracked the block while tightening them, and if anything, the force on the block is greater when the starter is trying to rotate the flywheel/flexplate. Dunno for sure, just seems from all the people I've heard of cracking blocks in that area, it was from tightening the bolts up.

As to AC Delco, well, maybe the starters, but the last battery cable I bought from AC Delco had "Made in Taiwan" right on the package, and was nowhere near the quality and construction of the 1985 piece it was SUPPOSED to replace. You wouldn't think you could make a battery cable cheaper, but Delco figured out a way.

12. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I bought a starter from Autozone about 5 years ago it came with a lifetime warranty for around $30. plus core. I have had no problems with it what so ever. All the starters that I bought from them I never had a problem. I have one that turns my 383 Camaro, and that one is even older. (when autozone was autopalace) If heat is the issue then go with a mini starter, but if not then go with a reman from autozone. The GM reman starters are high torque also. You pay for the name for most AC-Delco parts. As long as the quality, reliability, fit and price are good then who cares who made it. Everyone has their own opinion, this is mine.