Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need A New Steering Wheel ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, Jun 13, 2005.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Ok here is what I got.. It is a 84 k-20 auto and I want to replace the big steering wheel with something smaller.. So what is a good replacement ? Keep in mind I don't need some big money bling I just want something CHEAP :grin: . So who has replaced their steering wheel and what have you got ?

I remember reading a post a while back about somebody having trouble installing a new wheel on a similar truck because of the horn or something.. But I searched and cant seem to find that post... If I remember right somebody told him he had to get a seperate install kit of some nature ?

Thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lumina z34 wheel looks hot , 70's Camaro wheel looks allright , Iroc wheel looks great , late 70's Forechicken wheel is purty . And cheap 25 buck Grant chrome with black foam looks OK . I got a Grant Challenger from my wife one birthday and that looks real good in silver spokes against the silverado brushed dash :D

3. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i had a grant on my k5. I loved it. If you go that route, you will need the horn kit to install also.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I really like the 88+ new body style steering wheels. Fatter, 4 spoke, and about 2" smaller in diameter. They bolt right up too...

Rene

5. mudslinger99

Thanks for the ideas fellows :D

Ok now correct me if I'm wrong my stock wheel is 18inch ? The wheel that tRusty is talking about is 16inch correct ?

What size Grants are you guys running ? Also what changes have to be made to the horn for the Grant to work ?

tRusty you say the 88 and up will bolt right up is that without the horn kit ? Just pull mine off and put that on ?

I know the wifes S-10 Blazer has a little wire underneath the horn cap instead of the little clip that makes the contact in my 84 .

Thanks.

6. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

I 2nd the 89 and up steering wheels, I got one for my 86 K5 off of a 89 Burban for free. The only thing I didnt do was hook up the horn, but that shoudlnt be too hard to do.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I didn't get any of the horn crap with the wheel i got...but I've been told it's easy enough to retrofit. One of these days I'll get off my a$$ and hit the wrecking yard for the horn parts.

Other than that it's a direct swap. The newer wheel is very comfortable and is 15" in diameter (I just went and measured it).

Rene

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have a grant 414 wheel like this...

[​IMG]

its smaller than the factory one, 13.5". I really like it. The grip is thicker than factory, so its easier to hold on to and its rubberized so its all good even with my palms are sweaty. ;)

j

9. mudslinger99

I like the looks of that wheel :saweet: How much did it cost you ?

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

got it on ebay cheap... forget how much it was. That series of wheel is the cheaper kind that grant makes tho. Basically the only thing about it that sucks is the horn button system... which is kind of a lame design. I never used mine, I'm gonna wire up my horns to a button not in the wheel. Anyway, other than that its a great wheel, and I definitely like having a smaller diameter wheel in an offroading rig.

j

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I have the same Grant wheel I got mine for $40 at OReillys. I love it Its nice to be able to tilt my wheel clear down and not have the steering wheel pinch my legs.

12. mudslinger99

Well that sounds like a good price.. You have a truck similiar to mine so what about this horn kit deal ? What is required to make it work ?

I dont have tilt wheel in mine so having the steering wheel almost touching my legs is no good.. That is the main reason I want a smaller wheel... Plus I dont like it being so skinny...

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got an '88+ wheel in my truck, and the horn works fine. All parts are stock, although I don't recall what I had to grab off the donor to make it work. It's not much. I tend to think it's the small contact/spring that locks into the turn signal canceller, and anything else "above" the lock plate.

I really like that wheel, comfortable and smaller, but not *too* small. Think I paid $20 out of a wrecking yard for it, plenty of previously stolen GM vehicles in the yards with columns destroyed from the theft, but intact wheels.