Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a new tow vehicle!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Apr 10, 2005.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Alright, we've got a '99 4x4 Burb with a 454 that is an awesome truck, but it can't pull our 26' Weekend Warrior for sh!t. It does good on flat or downhill, but if we hit a hill it slows way down. What is the best 4x4 tow vehilce (diesel I am assuming) for a family and needs lots of room? Is Chevy ever going to put a Duramax in a Burban?!?! Thanks for your opinions. :truck:

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You may want to consider re-gearing it. Most came with 3.73. Maybe its time for 4.10 or 4.56?

I *really* like my aging Burb... I was hoping to get into a newer one, or even an Excursion - but the $$$$$ - OMFG! You may want to consider a crewcab and get a nice cap instead.

3. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it has 3.73's and 33" tires, but would that really help get it towing uphill better? We still want the "decent" :grin: mileage and able to use it a a DD.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re gear would be cheaper than a new truck. 3.73 and 33s = equal about a 3.40 gear ratio. Not exactly a great towing gear.
    A buddy of mine has a 5th wheel about the same size as your trailer. He only has a 6 L in his 3500. It has 4.10 ratio. It tows his 5th wheel pretty good in the hills.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Changing from a stock 245/75R16 to 33" has already effectively knocked back your 3.73 axle ratio to around 3.4-3.5 range. That's typically not the kind of gearing you would tow a load such as yours with.

My 2 cents.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

run some really low profile tires. It will look odd, but you'd be surprised by the effective torque gain.

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

what would be best is if you could borrow a set of stock sized rims/tires or lowpros from a buddy and try towing with it. if it changes your mind about towing with your truck, then you might want to invest in a gearswap if it still sucks, then the gear swap isnt really gonna help.

if you decide on a new tow rig, i'd go with a diesel crew cab w/ shell. any of the big three would be a good choice.