Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a New Tranny and Need Help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calvin313, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Calvin313

Calvin313 Registered Member

Hi! I have a 1985 K5 and my tranny is shot and i need to replace it. i was wondering if i could get some help on how difficult it is to replace it by yourself( well i would have some friends help and stuff). But it is an automatic overdrive. and i have been lookin at the bowtie tranny's and i think that is what i am goin with. If you have any imput it would definately help. Thanks.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

what is it with everyones tranny going out all the sudden? Anyway, aint hard to remove and install em, ive already dropped mine twice, put it back in once, hope to put it back in this comin weekend, anyway, just have a floorjack, a couple blocks of wood, and a buncha ratchet extensions, piece of cake.

3. Calvin313

thanks man

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Hey, it's the guy that took some of my money playing poker this morning. :D Glad to see you made it here.
    I've never replaced mine so no help to you there. I'm just going to pay a tranny shop 2 bills to save me the headache when the time comes. That way I know it's installed right and the TV cable is adjusted correctly. I'd hate to burn up my new tranny because of something I did wrong. The one thing that I won't work on is my tranny, they just scare me. :eek:
    I'll be going with bowtie overdrives too. Just make sure you talk to their tech support and tell them how you'll be using your truck and what kind of HP it will be seeing so they can recommend the correct upgrades for you. From what I hear they don't try to sell you what you don't need and have excellent customer support.
    Good luck with the install.

Almost forgot, if you don't have a tranny cooler yet then get the biggest one you can find. The #1 killer of trannys is heat.

5. Calvin313

Thanks Spearchcker. Sorry i took some of your money yesterday but today sucked for poker for me bc of people's crap. well i think i am goin to buy a tranny cooler too. thanks again

6. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Rebuilding them is hard and takes special tools. But droping the old and installing new is an afternoon job. Basic tool set with extentions and a good jack make it much easier. I have done a few for some friends and was able to have new one on site so only took about 3 hours one person(for mine that blew because the head gasket blew and eng went to 300+) with hand tools. If you dont want to insall it I would have a reputable shop rebuild and install it for you, and while there at it geat a big cooler(s), temp guage, drain plug, and remote filter installed as well. Dont use the trans cooler in the radiator it heats the fluid to much, espically if you blow a head gasket or water pump stops working and eng gets over 300. If you keep the fluids clean and cool they will last a long time.

7. Calvin313

i am looking at the bowtie tranny's and i think i am goin to buy a level two.
    what type of cooler would you suggest on buying and where to buy from.

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Any cooler from a reputable company would be fine, b&m, permacool, derale, flexalite....jump on summitracing and see what you can find. Look up the companys website. Cooler size depends on what you do with yer rig. Personally I wont go with any cooler thats rated under 20k or so GVW rating,but thats just me, I like a lil extra step with things. I like to keep my junk cool, makes them last longer. You dont hafta spend tons of money on one, just dont settle for a cheapy.

I paid 65 for mine at summit, flexalite #4220

9. Calvin313

thanks man

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

if you want to go balls out jegs has a couple with independent electric fans and automatic thermostats for around 115$.