Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a picture of a stock 87 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5er4Life, Mar 1, 2007.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

As some may know, I am doing a TBI swap in my '86 crew cab. I am making it 100 percent emission compliant. So far I have gathered most of my parts, luckily I know a guy that has a has chevy truck junkyard and for a flat rate he is getting me the rest of everything I need to do the swap. Also I picked up a brand new wiring harness from Tom at turbo city, I havent started with that part of it but I will tell you his customer service is already great. He has spent much of his time in person talking to me about my install. But I digress, I need pictures of a stock 454 (or relatively stock) out of preferably an '87. Form speaking with Tom he said those 454's did not come with a knock sensor, so as a result no esc module. I have a few other questions as well. After Im done Im taking it to a smog nazi....eerrr...I mean ref to have it certified. And being that Im in Cali I need it to comply exactly with how a 1 ton crew cab dually from 1987 came equipped from the factory. So your pictures and/or help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

No knock or esc for '87 454 right?
    Does the smog pump have that sensor that plugs into the computer in '87?
    What about the charcol canister, does have a sensor on it to control emission function as well in '87?
    I know it has an egr solenoid to control egr functions.
    Does anyone have any experience in doing what Im doing as far as a referee station is concerned?
    Once again thanks for the help and Im sure this is only one of a few questions I will have as I go through this swap.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

ttt, Somebody has to have a pic of an 87 454 from cali or otherwise.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

look here...

I've had good luck finding vacuum hose diagrams and wiring diagrams on www.autozone.com --they have a section there for vehicle specifications..:crazy:

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thanks diesel, I looked around and kind of found what Im looking for. It appears that there is no esc or knock sensor in the wiring diagram for 87. However, I would like to confirm this. Also They didnt list a vaccum diagram for 87, it did for 88-up and 86-down trucks. :dunno: I would appreciate it if someone would just peak under there hood that has this engine and year and confirm if there is a knock and/or esc, now obviously if there is no knock sensor then there will not be an esc module. Also a picture of the factory vaccum diagram would be incredible. Thanks guys, I know someone will come through.

6. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

I have and 88 454 dont know if I can help, but If I can I will get you some pics

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Yes please that would be awesome, an 88 shoud work as I dont think anything changed. It wasnt until 89 that the whole system changed just a little bit. Meaning the ecm number and minor component changes in the harness.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  8. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

I will go snap some right now:D

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thank you sir, your help is greatly appreciated.

10. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

here you go. If you need more just let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just confirmed from my store that 1987 crew cab dually with a 454 uses a knock sensor and it is a standard ignition number KS7, but there is no listing for an ESC module.

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Noregrets, thank you very very much. These are plently, I saved everyone and I am certain these will be an enormous amount of help once I start piecing this thing back together. :bow:

What I figured I would do next is go down to the chevy dealer and see if they have any factory wire diagrams for that exact year and model. I have had pretty good luck when needing stuff like this in the past.