Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a racoon DEAD!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Jun 26, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Over the last 2 nights a racoonhas killed 6 of my chickens including last night when he made his way into the chicken house and got my rooster. HE WILL DIE A VERY PAINFUL DEATH!!
    Now, how do I get this little bastard???

2. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Ummm lock your chickens in the coop and make sure the coon can't get in... or camp out one night and catch him in the act?

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

STAKEOUT!!! Really, you got to do a stakeout. :waytogo:

4. big pappa b

We have been locking it at night but last night he climbed the roof and went in thru a window.
    I think I will leave him some poison chicken maybe. I have some Double 00 buckshot poison for him too

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Got a baseball bat? go hit a homer :grin:
    If you have a dog I would move it closer to the chickens

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Coyotes got one of my turkeys and both my ducks last week... :mad: For the racoon , you should be able to get a live trap from the local animal control for free to use until you get him. What you do with him after you trap him is up to you... :crazy:

7. big pappa b

I'm thinking new coon skin hat or maybe a tail on my car antenna

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

9. big pappa b

Screw the cruel flames. That bastard has cost me $50-75 to replace what he has killed. The 3 that died this morning weren't even eaten..just left for dead in the coop :mad:

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Might find some help here... BYC

11. cbbr

My grandparents had a working farm just outside of townwhen I was growing up. I spent many years there. This was before PETA and the EPA took over the world so I picked up what my wife would call some "bad habits".

Nothing like a .22, a bright light and some bait. Better with friends, but go easy on the beer. :D

12. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

If you want some traps just let me know ;)

13. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

like said move the dogs closer to the pin. About the best way if not out where the dogs can be free is to stake out and shoot the coon. A 22 or shot gun work good but the old bat is fine but suggest the gun even a little pistol is fine but have the maglite or spot light and he will stay still for you. If this is not you thing then just ask some of them coon hunters around and they may run thier dogs closer to or on your property if enough land and not other people to bother. Since don't do this myself not sure the actual time of year supose to kill instead of just running them.

14. cbbr

[​IMG]

Subsonic Hollow Point is a low velocity rimfire cartidge with an expanding hollow point bullet at 2.35 g (36 gr). This cartridge is ideal for varmint hunting and target practice, delivering good accuracy and stealth in silenced weapons.

These work well and are quiet.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would "coon-proof" the chicken house. Make it so the lil'bastards can't get in. One idea is chicken wire on the inside of the windows and electric wire on the outside of the windows. Turn the power on at night. Set it up so the chickens can't fry themselves, but anything trying too get in will get a big ol'jolt. Put it on a switch in the house or on a timmer. That should take care of the problem.

16. big pappa b

I laid out some feed where they have been coming down the creek. I have a nice ambush site setup. Will try to hideout for a little while tonight hopefully killing it.

17. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

We pretty much constantly leave a baited trap out at all times for racoons. I hate to walk in the pen in the morning and see chicken parts scattered around where they killed them and didn't even eat them.

We like to use cat food as bait in our traps but pretty much anything smelly will work.

Hope ya get em.

18. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Only time I came across a raccoon was a few years ago at night, I think it was rabid, anyway, it wouldn't move once I got a light on it, and it was pretty odd, as I only had one round of ammunition for any firearm I owned, and it was a crusty .22LR from the floor of my shop.

19. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's North Carolina..................just look fer a pickup truck with a gun rack and a dogbox in the bed! Coon Hunter stickers would be a sure sign that 'ur problem is almost solved. All my kin (almost) have either Bear, Hog or Coon dogs!

20. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i would try one of those live traps.

the leg traps catch them, but i have seen traps that had just a leg left in it from them chewing it off.

i wouldnt mess with a racoon either, as small and timid as they might be, they are extremely mean.

the chicken wire on the windows doesnt work, they will chew right threw it, you need a heavier mesh.

BTW, i speak from experience, i had a Coon as a pet for a couple of years, until he went rabid or crazy or something.

attack my dad, he made it out of the garage as it was chasing him again.

we had chicken wire over the jealously windows because he would get out of his cage at times and would go thru the panes of glass. my dad was looking in the window and he was just ripping apart the wire over the glass.

2 .22 slugs didnt stop him either, grant it he was a HUGE coon.

but some of his favorite foods were earthworms and grapes.