Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a saw to cut fenders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mccomas, Apr 23, 2005.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

Gents, I am going to cut my fenders and rockers this week. I need some recommendations for the best saw to pick up for this. Because I am going to have to buy one no matter what, I want to ensure that I pick up the right one. Not only am I looking for quality performance, I assume that I need something that I can maneuver around with ease…

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I just used a sawzall. Whatever you use, just take your time if you want it to look good.
    -Harrison

3. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The most effective thing I used was an air powered rotary cutting blade. Its the most accurate, the sawzall was just too hard to control and it kept slamming the blade into the back of the inner fender eventually bending the crap outta the blade. I know alot of people use sawzalls but my preference is the air saw.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a combination of a sawzall, a grinder with a cutoff wheel, and a die grinder with a cutoff wheel. Any one of the three will work just fine.

Edit: I will admit the sawzall is a bear to control but I had to go through a large fender support to cut my front fenders and it was the only thing that would work.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Use an angle grinder with a 1/8" grinding wheel or a cutting wheel. Sawzalls deform the metal too much not to mention the more you try to dictate where it goes the least likely it is to go in that direction.

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used a combination of an angle grinder and a small air saw that I borrowed from another member here. Used the grinder for places that were too tight for the saw.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

An air nibbler or shear would be best I think! Very precise cuts and no deformation of the metal. If I do much body work this summer I'm going to get one of the two.

8. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status