Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a shift kit or not.... trails and rocks, some sand some mud.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, May 27, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ok im having a tranny rebuilt, and built up stronger, im sick of these things goin out on me.... Anyway, i am wondering if i really need a shift kit, and if so which one stage I or stage II.... What is so great about having a shift kit in a 4x4......... ? Thx for any input.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

A shift kit will bring the "line pressure" up. That is the pressure that the transmission operate's at. it will increase pressure to the applied clutch pack, it will hold tighter, than it did in the stock form.

Not only the line pressure, but quicker, firmer shift's are a must in any auto trans. The factory has less line pressure, and smooth shift point's, to make the "normal" customer happy, so it shift's smooth and easy.

Any off road auto, deserve's a shift kit period. And add a large capacity oil cooler to the mix also. It will make the newly overhauled, shift kitted, tran's, live a long, happy life. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Silver84k5

when you say larger oil cooler your talking about the tranny cooler infront of the radiator? The stock one will not suffice, i should add a bigger one?

What stage shift should i get? thx /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Yep, the stocker in the radiator is that, a stocker. An aftermarket one by Hayden or other's will cool much more than the stocker.

I've completely bypassed the one in the radiator, and the cooler I run is actually a Hydraulic oil cooler, out of a backhoe, at any given time, I can stop and put my hand on the pan of the transmission. The bigger, the better.

Go for the "heavy duty/towing shift kit".

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Josh go with a stage 2 shift kit and add in the oil cooler and that should help out your tranny BUT it will not protect it from rocks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Rock's and an Auto tran's don't mix? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Well rock's and a stick don't mix either. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. Silver84k5

i just think a doubler is on the to do list, but thatll have to wait,

If i have a doubler in there it should take some of the strain of the trans shouldnt it?

thats not till next winter though.

8. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Yes a Doubler will help alot.

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you don't want a pretty hard shift then go with the stage 1 kit.
    I rebuilt my TH350 and put a stage 2 kit in... with 3:73's and 35's it chirps 2nd a lot. I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some people ask damn why's your truck shift so hard? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif