Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need a shop recommendation

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by MJF, Sep 24, 2002.

1. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Can anyone recommend a good but cheap place to get the front end rebuilt & aligned for my 70 4X4 truck? I have all the parts, but don't want to chance doing the work myself since I've never done it before. Plus I don't have all the tools. I was gonna rent them & do it myself, buit this is a repair that you find out at 70mph(after crashing your truck) that you did something wrong.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A front end rebuild on a solid axle really is a simple deal. I can't recommend any shops, only because there are no shops that I would trust to work on my junk anymore. I've been screwed too many times in the past. There are two places that I will still let do work for me, one is for driveshafts, the other is trannys. Sorry I wasn't any help, but you really should consider doing the work yourself, it's hard to screw up if you follow the directions in a service manual, and you always have CK5 to ask questions! </font color>

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

In Sacramento I can recommend Rosemont Automotive.... they are wheelers there. Just found out about them and man am I impressed and going to be using them now for everything I cannot do... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

WHat I do when it's rebuild time is buy all the stuff.....Ball joints, tie rod ends ect ect....Install everything myself...then drive to town and get it aligned. They'll fix anythng you did wrong and make it right. ALOT cheaper that way. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Not sure if $92.50 per hour is cheap to you or not. I can personally guarantee the work at my shop though. We are in Livermore and you may not want to drive over here. All of us are wheelers in my shop also.

David

6. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

$92.50/ hour. Depends on how many hours to do the job. I had a shop in town tell me it was a 6 hour job@ $90/hr. It's now my daily driver so I am leaning toward paying to have it done rather than trying it myself on a weekend &amp; end up bicycling to work.

But I'm also a cheapskate, so if it's over a couple hundred, I'll try it myself.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

OK, here's the deal, I have been helping out a lot of people on this site that are local to me. I work in a machine shop and have access to all the equipment that is needed to replace the ball joints and I have the knowledge to do the labor on the truck. If you are interested in learning and are willing to pay me for my time then PM me. We aren't talking about a bunch of money either. I figure that I could change all the ball joints and whatever tie rod ends you need for say $150.00 labor and you just supply the parts. This way you will get a job done cheaper than taking it to a shop and you will learn at the same time.

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    OK, here's the deal, I have been helping out a lot of people on this site that are local to me. I work in a machine shop and have access to all the equipment that is needed to replace the ball joints and I have the knowledge to do the labor on the truck. If you are interested in learning and are willing to pay me for my time then PM me. We aren't talking about a bunch of money either. I figure that I could change all the ball joints and whatever tie rod ends you need for say $150.00 labor and you just supply the parts. This way you will get a job done cheaper than taking it to a shop and you will learn at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is why SCOTT just plain rocks in addition to this He has helped greg get ready for moab at the last minute and spent many hours helping him,and he went all the way up to joe's (kidjethro) house in nevada city to help him out and I am sure there are more people that I am forgetting about but you get the point /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif what a guy,I know that I will be calling on you soon....mike

9. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

4X4HIGH,

I'm definitely down for that. In fact, you shouldn't really even have to get dirty. Just point &amp; shout out orders so I will know how to do everything correctly.

Can you give me a run-down of what all parts I may need for this job? I have upper &amp; lower ball joints, tie rod ends, &amp; the tie rod ends for the whatever you call it(part that goes from stering arm to pitman arm). Are there other things I should get like any kind of bearings, kingpins, whatever.

Thanks &amp; let me know how you want to set everything up. I was planning to go riding at Carnegie this weekend, but if you wanted to do it this soon I could cancel.

Mike

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mike,

Scott is definitely "THE MAN"....he's helped me with LOTS of stuff on my K5.

The only thing I worry about now, is that if too many people realize how good he is.....I'll have to "schedule an appointment" to hang out with him! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. 4X4HIGH

Mike, thanks for the kind words. I have thought about you the past couple weekends as I was driving through Lodi. If I had your number I would have called and met up with you already. Always cool to meet CK5 brothers. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif If you need some help with something someday you know who to look for.

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you need some help with something someday you know who to look for

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I speak the truth man you rock and I will have a beer at the next outing for ya..Or 6 pack...LOL
    But really it is a great thing you did for greg and joe. I know that It was something that you didn't have to do(you made greg's moab trip possible,and gave hope to joe on his BB dreams...LOL) but you did and for that my hat is off to you....mike /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Scott doesn't drink alcohol. Bring him a 2 liter of Coke and he'll be happy! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

14. 4X4HIGH

Eric, I hate coke, make it Mountain Dew or something.

15. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Done.....Again thanks...mike

16. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My bad. Sorry Scott! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I do the same, I usually do it myself and take it to get it aligned. I get it close though first so I don't have an accident getting there but I always finish with a professionnal alignment.
    I like to do my own work, because I have been screwed too many times, and it's cheaper. My hour is $24 I get billed $75 and up, so if it takes me 3 times the time, I am still ahead /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    IceMan