Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a Short Block 350 or 383, were to buy???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well been searchin and lookin and reading and I am still cornfuzed on what to do.......

Should I
    1. Have a local shop build me a short block
    2. Have an internet shop build me one ( Scoggin or SpeedOMotive)
    3. Get GM crate short block( Paceparts or Sallee)

Any opinions and thought would be great....

Oh I plan on putting Edelbrock Performer EFI,Performer Heads & Performer Cam on for my top end....
    Thanks
    Burt

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

TTT
    Someone has to have an opinion.............

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I had a local shop build mine and did so for a few reasons.

(1) I had worked with these guys before. I knew they were very good at what they do. They are actually a race shop that builds race car engines, so my 383 was right up their alley.

(2) I like to take work to local shops for the local economy when I can.

(3) It is a lot easier to get things warranted (although that is sorely limited with a hi-po engine) or at least repaired when they did the original build.

(4) It has helped me to develop a better relationship with them. That is very important to me as I don't always have the time to do some things myself. So sometimes I have to have a shop do the work. Because of the relationship I have with these guys now, they will show up early or stay late to accomodate my schedule when I need it. Try getting that from a shop where you don't know the folks.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool man! Thanks for your thoughts!!
    Ya, I'm not getting the warm and fuzzy from thease internet builders...they answer my questions by saying "refer to our website." OK-nevermind then....
    I have a couple of shops local to choose from so it is probly time to see wich one will give me the best service..plus I'm not finding much on the internet, unless I want to spend 3K on just the short block /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

talk to people you may know about the local shops and don't go just by price, you may pay more for the samething at another shop but it may be more quality work and better in the long run.

6. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

crate is great, but if the sh!t hits the fan theres no face to help you through the problem...
    also i've found it very hard to get anyone to touch my motor when i was at a loss as to why it wasnt running right (330hp 350ho), even though its a crate engine most shops considered it a built motor and wouldnt touch it....the most frequently heard excuse was " well thats not a stock engine so we dont know what we're going to find when we open it up"....of course the retards wouldnt listen to me when i said it was a factory crate motor and i could give them a full GM parts list....
    i ended up using someone i didnt know very well who screwed the timing up royally and blamed it on the carb....

so crate is a great way to go, but if you can find a reputable shop that backs their work, go with them instead....its easier to have them look it over than paying a GM service shop to look at it to get use of the parts only warranty....and GM shops typically arent cheap in the labor department...

good luck with the engine selection! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    talk to people you may know about the local shops and don't go just by price, you may pay more for the samething at another shop but it may be more quality work and better in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, sure couldn't emphasize that any better! Very often you get what you pay for. The really good guys are very seldom the cheapest when it comes to auto repair. Why should they be?

For example...

On my 383, I was tired of the oil leaks and other little piddly problems I had from when I built my last engine. So, I took the parts to the engine builder for him to go ahead and build the complete long block for me instead of just a short block (differential price wasn't much).

I picked up the long block and installed it myself. Not long after installing and driving it, an oil leak developed. It is a GM, so I shouldn't worry, but this is one of the reasons I had this shop build the long block for me. I took the truck to them and ran the dye through the oil and located the leak. Because they built just the long block, they could easily have said that if they had to tear into the motor, I would either have to pay for the labor of pulling the motor and such, or I would have to bring them the motor separate. Instead, the guy said that it wasn't a fault of installation of the motor. So he took it on to pull the motor (which isn't easy on a rig with 42s as tall as mine is), repair the bad seal, and re-install the motor. All on his dime as "warranty" work on his original craftsmanship.

Not something you would find most places. This is the kind of relationship and committment to quality that you need to try and find.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes! Good points fellas!!
    I am just about done talking to thease 'online' builders......
    Thanks again for taking the time to talk to me!!

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Time for a "new" motor bro?
    Try Summit, or PAW, I have had nothing but good luck with PAW,JEGs and Summit. In fact I have bought all my parts from them and dealers.
    But say, if your going to get a motor or have one built, then add FI. Why not go with the Ram Jet 350? Its like $3500-4000, but its all in one and GM dealers will work on it. Just an option I don't know if you had thought of. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    At any rate around here there are tons of speed shops but there all overpriced and ignorant. Calling Summit usually gets me what I need. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes the RamJet is on my radar! I still might just do that but I was trying to get the Edelbrock Performer EFI with matching Edelbrock Heads and Cam. I have never owned a built V8 before. My Blazer's current V8 is my first and only that I have ever owned or drove. So I'm thinking....hmmmmmm...ouch....well it's just money.....would be kinda cool.......lots of power......
    in cab control modual for streamlining Hwy fuel economy, blasting the dunes or crawlin the trails. All at a push of a pre-set button
    AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

It all starts with this, LOL...........