Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a smog pump bracket for my 1985 K30

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Feb 5, 2005.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need to get a smog pump bracket for a 1985 (original Nevada truck) 454 K30. My truck seems to have no bracket provision what so ever for a smog pump (as if it never came with one), and I do not think the original brackets have ever been replaced. There are two types of smog pump bracket for a 454 (1) lower right hand side, (2) center of engine just over the intake manifold.

Chevrolet has discontinued smog pump brackets for all older trucks, and I am not sure what to get for a smog pump bracket. Does anybody have any advice or experience with obtaining a smog pump bracket for a 454?

A bunch of engine control related stuff was removed off of the truck because when the truck was manufactured back in 1985, there was no smog inspections in Nevada yet; so people did what ever they wanted back then, but now Nevada expects vehicles to have some of the stuff on them now.

Luckily, the smog inspection station says all I need to have is an EGR Valve (that is easy enough), and a smog pump to pass visual inspection, but none of the other stuff that is missing like EVAP canister, Throttle Level Actuator, or EFE Valve needs to be on it.

Most of the smog pump stuff I need is readily available from part stores or performance manufactures such as the pump itself, diverter valve, and air tube check valves. I am going to get a universal A.I.R. tube kit from Headman Headers for the Doug Thorley tri-Y headers my truck has, but the bracket is the big problem. I am going to have to go to a junkyard to get one probably.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

most all 1tons were no smog for the gvw rating. if the sticker on core support is no smog then you should be no smog. check on line ruels and regulations for your state. or ask a friend in the biss. my state is no factory smog then no smog.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

chris....

if your truck came with this I just might have the complete setup....
    Im me and we can talk
    cam

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After doing some more research, I talked to a GM parts counter guy that said "If my truck came equipped with an A.I.R. injection system, then it should have the RPO code of HD5 in the glove box, but if it does not, then it is a Federal Emissions vehicle, which it is then not equipped with a smog pump." My truck does not have the "HD5" RPO code.

One of the problems is that emission inspection people think that their smog reference manuals are a bible of information, but they aren't. With older vehicles like mine, they actually have only a list of equipment in them that the vehicle could have, or might have come with.

It sucks that Nevada is trying to make me put a piece of emissions equipment on my truck that it never came with, only because they or GM no longer have any complete documentation available anymore on exactly what my truck "did" or "did not" come with.

I am going to put up a good fight with the state of Nevada to convince them that my truck never came with A.I.R. injection, but if "worse comes to worse" I will contact you CamsK5 for the brackets you have.

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

sounds good chris... these arent exactly flyin off my shelf :)

cam