Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a tip- rear passenger-side glow plug removal

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Can Can, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I got my new "Quick Heat" glow plugs from Kennedy Diesel today. I braved the -10' Celcius weather after work and got them all installed except for the rear passenger-side GP.

There's about 2" of room between the block and the heater core box and it's next to impossible for me to get my arm down there and see what I'm doing at the same time. It looks like I *may* be able to get at the sucker from underneath but I was too cold by the time I got to it- the snow under my truck didn't look that inviting, either....... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

So give me some tips on getting that GP out, brothers!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

If it's -10 C, at least your not lying in mud! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you've got the blade style GP wires, you can break the blade off of the old GP to get a little more room to get it out. I was able to get mine out without going under the truck, but I had to use a small (6" or 15cm) socket wrench and I remember having to twist my arm around some stuff to get down there. By breaking the blade off, you should be able to get at it with a regular depth socket. Hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Damn AC box... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

FWIW all my GP's are easy to get to with the non AC box. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Does it start easier with the 7 new GP's?

Rene

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks for the tip, Fred. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I may just end up doing as you suggest.

Rene- Laugh it up, skinny boy....... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif The funny part is, my AC setup isn't even operational right now. Talk about adding insult to injury, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

I have AC in my 83 6.2 and i didn't have much trouble getting to it. I used a 1/4 ratchet, 2" extension and whatever the socket size was. The only trouble i had was getting the new GP in the tiny hole that you can't see. Good luck.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Just lay underneath it, you can reach right up and have tons of room to get at it, its just a little hard to see when you put the new plug in.