Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a Torque converter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinBaldy, Nov 10, 2002.

1. BlazinBaldy

BlazinBaldy Registered Member

My torque converter went out on my Blazer and I need to replace it what shoud I get? I have been told so far that a towing converter is what I need, but I want to run 35x12.5 tires and dont want it to lug. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

It would probably help if we knew a little more info. Like: gear ratio, engine mods, transmission, type of wheeling you do, etc.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

This might make your decision...
    New Performance converter = $300
    Stock Replacement = $95

4. BlazinBaldy

BlazinBaldy Registered Member

I am running a stock 350 motor and I want to put 35's on it. I mostly go wheeling in the sand dunes but I also go in the hills on dirt/mud trails.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

For sand and mud you might want a higher stall converter (2000+), rock crawlers really benfit from the low stall towing converters (1300-). A high stall will generate more heat and is harder on your tranny in heavy load situations, the low stall runs cooler but requires a bit more torque to get moving quick. Either way, get an external cooler to run in line with the stock one in colder climates or to bypass the stock one in the radiator in warmer climates. Cheap assistance against premature wear due to heat generated by torque conveter slippage.