Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a torque convertor, which one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TWISTEDJACK, Oct 30, 2002.

1. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The torque convertor is trashed, I need to replace it. Which one should I get. Stock replacement, or one with a
    higher stall? I plan on putting 4.88 gears in this winter and running 38's. The motor is a mildly built 350 with a Th400. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

It all depends on the camshaft you are gonna use, and the main use of the truck: Towing , street etc...I have a 204/214 0.420/0.442 cam and I am using the "sizzler" torque converter from TCI, which has stall speed a bit higher than stock, I think it is a good choice for a truck, where torque often happens in earlier RPM's.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run a 2400 stall, but it only helps in the mud and street driving. On the rocks I am not so sure. In fact I plan on swapping in a stock unit before Moab next spring. Other than that I like it.

4. TWISTEDJACK

The one I was thinking about getting has a 500-600 over stock stall speed. I was hoping to help the street performance and not hurt the off-road performance. It labors really hard getting the truck moving. I think the one I was looking at has a flash stall of 1800-2000 depending on the motor.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I got the summit racing 1600rpm stall. Only like $90 too, seems to be ok, of course I have not drove the truck since I installed it....

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I asked the same question about two months ago...
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=garage&Number=497923&Forum=All_Forums&Words=stall%20converter&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=497810&Search=true#Post497923

I rebuilt my TH350 with a stage 2 shift kit and i went with the 1,500-1,900 RPM stall converter... It's the summit converter that is rated about 500-700 rpm's above stock stall speed.
    I have a 3,000 stall in my camaro and I wasn't too sure if I wanted a stall converter in my daily driven blazer, but after installing it, I like it! It gives me a little more of a launch outta the hole, and i can power brake it a few hundred rpm's higher now before it'll spin the tires. I wouldn't go any higher than a 2,000 stall for my truck.
    One more thing is add a good external tranny cooler because a stall converter will create more heat when it is slipping and generating heat below the stall speed.

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd go around 2000 RPM for a daily driver. An external cooler is a must IMO for any auto tranny.

John

8. TWISTEDJACK

Thanks for the thread Ryan. I am going to order a 1800-2000
    that is made for a RV, has a anti-baloon plate,bearing instead of a thrust washer, suposed to run cooler than other convertors, and 6 mounting bolts. I already have a huge external cooler, didn't want to take any chances after I burned up the TH350 in my 2wd.

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Good deal. You might want to get a tranny temp guage. Summit has them pretty cheap. I was surprised to find out that it heated up more driving around town than in the hills.