Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need advice 2wd lft kit.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by esponet, Apr 17, 2005.

1. esponet

esponet Registered Member

hello, i was wondering if anyone can give me advice on a few stuff.
    i have a 94 c1500, i mainly use it to haul the family and my car. i'm planning on using a fabtech 7" lift kit. and possible a 33 or 35" tires. is there anything i need to watch for? and is there anything else i need to get along with this kit? what final drive would you guys recomend?TIA.
    btw i am using a set of spring helpers. would that be a problem with using lifitng blocks that i assume will come with the kit??

heres a pic of my burban and the weight it hauls.
    [​IMG]

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why lift a 2wd?
    i'm pretty sure its not gonna handle better. but hey it will "look cool" i guess.
    i'd put a lift kit and some meaty tires on a 4wd that will get used.

3. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

a 7" lift and 33's will look funny IMHO... i'd say go atleast 35 or 36's unless you want 33's.

Again theres no point in lifting a 2wd unless your a mall crawler but its your rig. It will handle worse and get worse gas mileage(might gain mileage with 33's) but it will "look" like a 4wd. :D

I don't have any experience with fabtech so i can't answer those question but why do you tow the car? Races?

4. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

There a couple of them for sale on race-dezert.com in the classified ad section.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

You can use that lift. Fabtech makes good stuff. Final drive, I'd probably use 4.10 if it has 3.42 right now, and 4.56 if it has 3.73 when running 35's. Don't use blocks with the kit. Spend the extra money and get full replacement lift springs for the back. blocks & towing = scary

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

7" lift on a tow rig is a bit much IMO

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

fabtech is crap for those trucks, do yourself a favor and get a CST kit.

8. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

the fabtech kits arnt bad. if you get spindles make sure you look into replacing your ball joints.

9. esponet

esponet Registered Member

thanks for the reply.
    as of now i plan on using the fabtech springs,arms and spindles,. and i plan on looking for rear springs. any recomendations on the springs.
    i will also look into CST although i have never heard of it before.
    i might just go with a 4" and 33s. but i'm afraid i will want to lift more it in the future.
    i have no plan to go wheeling with this. i just want to lift it cause i think it looks cool. (flame suit on).

ohh and i tow the car to and from races. i figured if i have to beat on the car all day, i don't want to worry about braking anything and getting home.

10. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

^ What he said.

Plus, bigger tires w/out regearing a tow rig Really hurts towing performance.

When I bought our tow rig (it wasn't being purchased as a tow rig, it kind of got volunteered) it had 33" tires & 3.55 gears. Towing our 8,500lb setup is downright painful with that and a 360 gasser. Even empty, it'll hardly hold 75mph on the highway because it's only turning 1800rpms in Overdrive, so it's always kicking down to Direct and sucking down more gas.

Just some things to think about.