Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice about a J**P engine problem...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Oct 25, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

OK guys, please don't bitch at me for posting this. I'm trying to help my bro-in-law out with his Jeep. It's a 77 CJ5 with the 258 inline 6. He has been having a lot of oil leaking out around every nook and cranny of his engine lately /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. It has about 70k on it, but it's also 26 years old. The oil seems to be forced out by excess crankcase pressure. It's coming out of weird places like around the fuel pump, the distributor, etc... We have done all the usual stuff like new PCV, new gaskets, retorquing bolts. I told him that it might be blow by from poorly sealing rings that is making too much postive pressure and forcing out oil. Soooo, we checked the compression and they all came out 150 +/- 3-4lbs, which is spec for the 258. Is it still possible for the rings to be causing this even though the compression checks out OK. Could the heads have anything to do with it? He doesn't have a lot of cash to spend on it so we need to trouble shoot this ourselves as much as possible. Any suggestions? [don't say buy a K5 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif] Thanks.

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like its a good time to do the 350 swap. Might as well because it sounds like this engine is toast. I dont know what could be causeing it though.

nick

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check that the PVC is connected to a good vac source and that the line isn't plugged. They do get plugged up with oily goop after a while. If it's not capable if creating negative pressure inside the motor it'll hemmorage out of every conceivable orifice no matter how small or well sealed.

Rene

4. steelsoldiers

The Clifford valve cover on his 258 only has an oil fill hole and a PCV hole, whereas the stock cover had a oil fill hole, a PCV hole, and a breather hole. So we got a oil fill cap that fits a Furd that has a PCV in it and ran that to vacuum, then we ran a new breather line to vacuum from the other hole. Still no help. It seems to have a lot of combustion gasses coming out of the valve cover when you pull out the oil fill, a LOT.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The Clifford valve cover on his 258 only has an oil fill hole and a PCV hole, whereas the stock cover had a oil fill hole, a PCV hole, and a breather hole. So we got a oil fill cap that fits a Furd that has a PCV in it and ran that to vacuum, then we ran a new breather line to vacuum from the other hole. Still no help. It seems to have a lot of combustion gasses coming out of the valve cover when you pull out the oil fill, a LOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that good of compression you should be ok. Something has to still be wrong with the PCV system.

6. steelsoldiers

OK, so anybody have some suggestions on how to get more crankcase ventilation?? The PCV runs to the carb body and the vent runs to the air cleaner. Any other thoughts? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks.