Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need advice about part time conversion.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zaalli, Jul 27, 2002.

1. zaalli

zaalli Newbie

just bought a 78 jimmy, 350 700r4 out of california. great shape, stored most of it's life etc. appears to have the np203 and i am curious about what it takes to install a part time conversion kit as well as what brand to use. milemarker? also wondering if it's bad to drive the truck on the pavement with the fulltime operating...right now the front driveshaft is out, and i don't want to mess with putting it in if i can install the part time at the same time. great site! thanks...

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

you'll need new (external) locking hubs and a part-time conversion kit for the 203. I have a 203 full-time in my burban and I love it. Yes you will get more parts wear than a part-time and mine is a daily driver. In my opinion, its just gonna be a matter of what do you really want cause you'll hear pro's/cons about both full-time and part-time. So its really up to you.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If I wasn't running a front locker I would not have converted my 75. If your front drive shaft is out then yes you can put it into High lock on pavement and drive. If the front driveshaft is in it then don't put it in LOC on pavement. You can blow the front U-joint real easy.
    Part time kits is what tears up a 203. 203 are dependent on the chain for the front out put to be spinning to help lubricate the transfer case.
    If you keep your tires rotated, same brand, size then the Full time operations doesn't effect millage much at all. It's when the tires are unevenly worn that it starts causeing drag that starts eating power.
    Mile Marker makes two kits. One is cheap and had tabs that replace the diff gears I run this kit in both my trucks. My wifes 79 had a superwench conversion kit that STUNK in it and made noise. Replaced it with the MM kit. Mile Marker also makes a replacement output shaft that is stronger but about 3 times the price. I'm thinking of swapping out ot that on the trail truck since the front and rear lockers put so much strain on it. I may convert the 79 back to full time since I have the parts. It was an absolute joy to drive with the full time in winter condtions. After driving one in ice conditions the summer trade off is no big deal. I was driving it like it was on a wet street and all my buds are spinning out in 2wd.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

personally from everything i have gathered so far i want to convert my 203 back to full time original configuratio if indeed it is part time converted right now, i dont know if it has been or not yet, it does have warn manual hubs installed on it and case had brand new gear oil in it until this mornign whne i replaced it with 30w engine oil. only took almost 4 quarts to refill ????

util i figure out how to know if this thing is part time converted or not, i wont know what i need to or want to do.

good luck