Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice about Plasma Cutters

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., May 22, 2003.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'm in the market for a plasma cutter and was thinking of the Miller 625. The salesman (who carries Miller) told me they suck (his words, not mine!). He is pointing me towards a Hypertherm PowerMax 600. It's about the same price as the Miller. Anyone use one of these Hypertherm cutters?

Any advice regarding a Plasma cutter would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric M.

Maybe this should be posted somewhere else ... but, I'll be using this Plasma cutter to work on my second generation GM truck, so, might that qualify my question to fit in this forum! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

The salesman you are dealing with is a complete idiot. I own the Miller 375 (which kicks ass), and my X roomate owns the 625. It absolutely kicks major ass.

Miller is one of the big boys and you will not be disappointed with your purchase.

I own both a Miller 210 MIG welder and 375 Plasma. I haven't had one ounce of disappointment with either of them.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

When it comes to all of the plasma cutters that I have been around I only have to things to say....Snap-On or ESAB...

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Eric,

I asked a similar question a while back....I figured going with a Miller or Lincoln would be a safe bet. However, some people "in the know" told me to check out HyperTherm.

Unlike Lincoln and Miller (and others) HyperTherm only makes plasma cutting machines....from what I understand their design is more elegant than the others so the consumables last longer (and apparently are cheaper to buy once you need them)!!

I ended up buying the PowerMax 600 and it's been a nice toy to have in the shop. I'm still learning and doing some fine tuning on it, but it's already becoming one of my favorite tools....

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

We have both Miller and Hypertherm. Honestly I would choose Hypertherm over the Miller. I would go to the next size up if possible, regardless of the brand chosen. Also while you ahve the chance get a bunch of the consumable parts when you start. Its really annoying when you cant make a clean or precise cut or pierce when its called for.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Fraight Train,

Why would you step up to the next size? That is the PowerMax 1000 and does recommended cuts in 3/4" and sever to 1 1/4". Isn't that more than most would need? I'm thinking light construction and work on the truck .... No bridge building for a while!

Thanks,

Eric M.

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I have a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 and it rock's!!! The quality of the Hypertherm is nothing but awesome and like Greg said, they only make plasma cutter's, plus their consumables are cheaper than anyone else's.

Buy a Hypertherm, you will not be disappointed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

Hypertherm, the last word in plasma. 600 or 1000 you cant go wrong. I would not spend the money on a 110 unit unless you do mostly sheet metal.

9. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Thanks,

Looks like Hypertherm it is.

Eric M.

10. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'm thinking the 600 will be all I need.

Eric M.