Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need advice and answers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 96chevy, Mar 20, 2003.

1. 96chevy

96chevy Registered Member

I was wondering which transmission would be best for daily driving (at least 20 miles interstate) ? I currently have a 350, but I am condiering either rebuilding, replacing, or changing (possibly 700). I would to keep it as cheap as possible, but I don't want to have to swap it out again when I can finally afford a lift and Dana's and tires.
    Also is $1000 reasonable for a 86 chevy 3/4 ton 2x4, and will it have the Dana 44's on it?
    One more thing, a local guy is selling an 84 ford bronco frame with the engine,5-speed tranny, t-fer case (NP but not sure which one), and 39.5/15 interco super swapers (look brand new) on 5-lug axles (not sure what type), all for $1400. Would a blazer body mount to this easily, or is it not worth the trouble? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm just getting to this part of my project (lift and tires). But I think you answered your own question with this
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also is $1000 reasonable for a 86 chevy 3/4 ton 2x4, and will it have the Dana 44's on it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    If its 2wd then its going to have a coil spring front a-arm setup. Not a solid axle. So, no it wont have a Dana44 up front. And I'm guessing the 3/4 rear axle would be a Semi-Floating 14bolt rear (which would work, but it has the 9.5" ring gear, instead of the full floating 14B with the 10.5" ring gear -which is stronger).

The bronco frame with 5lug axles. I would guess the frames are totally different and very much a PIA in the long run of coverting over. One thing you could do (I dont know how much the tires are worth?), but if the tires are a good amount of money (say $900-1000 dollars new). Buy the frame with the wheels and part out the drive train. You would need to dismount the tires from the 5lug rims and find some rims that fit your axle setup. It may still be alot of hassel just for tires /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Thats my two cents, thats alot of what I'm been looking at and planning to try. I'm looking for 3/4ton or 1ton 4wd GM trucks with 8lug axles, either not running or found cheap in a farmers front yard for sale. It takes a good eye and bit of luck. I go threw the papers and auto trades alot. I watch local auction listings for farm equipment and auto parts. I check in at the junk yards once or twice a month to see whats new. I missed a 4wd blazer with power tailgate and glass by one day.... the guy at the yard sold it for $50! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif THE WHOLE BLAZER!
    I was going to go to $75 just for the glass. When yards ask you what you want dont tell them that your modifing a truck for offroading. Just say your looking for parts to fix up an old truck for the farm or work. When you say modify and offroading, you just doubled your price he's going to ask for the parts you want. If he thinks its for an old truck you give two squats about it will be much cheaper /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

AGAIN, these are just my ideas and things I have found /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    good luck on the hunt!
    J

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd pass on that one. It'd still be a Furd Donko ever if you put a Blazer body on it somehow. Way too much work for a Furd in my opinion !!! Offer the guy $400.00 or $500.00 for just the tires if they're in good shape.

4. 96chevy

96chevy Registered Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Man i wish there was an K5offroading book for dummies! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I have went through forty pages of posts and I still feel either stupid or confused or both. Being a newbie sucks.

5. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the '84 bronco is an oddball year, with an 8.8 rear. It also has the ford IFS, I-beam, snowplow, whatever you want to call it front end. I would avoid it. there are good K5 deals around.
    I have a TH700, its a rebuild with 80,000+ miles. I'm happy with it. with proper gearing, proper cooling, and a restrained right foot it does well. in stock form they won't last long but the parts exist to build them well.