Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Advice And Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Jun 16, 2005.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

ok guys i have a 84 suburban 3/4 ton 2wd with a 454/400 combo and 14 ff rear end. What all would be involved in turning my 2wd frame into 4wd? i have a donor 4wd suburban frame the rear of the frame is bent, can i take the mounts off the 4wd frame and bolt them on? or should i just look for a 4wd frame to buy? also i wanna use the 454/400 combo but what transfer case do i need? i have a spare 208 transfer case but i dont know if that will bolt to the th400 or if i will need a 203 or 205.

Lend me your advice guys.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

where are you. fill in your profile info. i have a 3/4 ton frame. and better to swap body than try and swap stuff to 2x4 frame lots of work.

3. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I think he is in minnesota :D

You can turn a 2wd in to a 4wd but like sweetk30 there is alot of work involved.. I have seen 2 of them done a few years ago, one turned out great and the other one well not so good.. There is some fabrication of brackets and mounts involved not to metion drivetrain issues.. But if you already got a matching 4x4 frame it might be easier to get measurments and locations of the things that need to be done.. The 2 that I seen were done by trial and error because they didn't have anything to go by.. So you do have an advantage..

As far as the 400 tranny bolting to the 208 yes it will.. But you will also need a front driveshaft and have to either get a new rear shaft or have yours modified..

I have a buddy with a 2wd 89 Suburban that just bought a 3/4 ton pickup to get the drivetrain out of to make his a 4x4... He wants me to help him on the swap.. But it has been put off for a while because he blew the motor in his 72 Blazer and the Surburban is his daily driver for now.. Plus it is fishing season and he needs the Burb to pull his boat for the summer so we can go fishing :D

4. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

yep im in minnesota

The extra frame i have is an 87 frame and i have the front and rear axles and driveshafts as well as the 208 transfer case and the 350/700r4 combo, im thinking about using the front 10 bolt i have from the 87 and putting it on my 3/4 ton 2wd frame and of course leaving the 14ff in the rear.