Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice changing wheel studs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Ed, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

After bringing my K5 to a big name parts wholesaler to get a lift installed I later discovered 2 of my front wheel studs were stripped. Too late to complain about it now... Anyways, I plan on changing them this weekend. I've never removed a disk before but I hope to get a hand from my bro-in-law who's an awesome mechanic.

Not sure what's next after removing the caliper and hubs but I usually figure these things out as I go along. If any of you have time could you help out with what's next. Do I need any special size sockets? Do I need to p/u some gaskets beforehand?

BTW, I'm running the stock 10b on the front of my K5. Thanks!

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

As you know take off the calipers and hubs.

you need a special socket to get the spindle nuts. you can pick it up at any parts store called a hubsocket (make sure it is for a 1/2 ton chevy. ther are many different sizes.) Mine had 4 "teeth" on the inside.

use the hub socket to get the first nut off.

next is a ring to keep everything from turning. It would be easiest to use two hooked picks and just pull it out.

the last nut is just like the first one, except it has a small pin, but dont worry bout that till you put everything back on.

the hub and disk should slide right off.

press or hammer the studs out and put new ones in.

re-assemble.

tighten the nut w/ the pin first (monkey tight, loosen it again, and then tighten it again (not so monkey tight))this is to set the bearing.

next is the ring w/ all the holes is next--slide it in and one of the holes should line up w/ the pin on the first nut. if not, in very small increments tighten r loosen the first nut to line the pin w/a hole.

tighten the last nut

put hub and caliper back on

you are good to go.

to make sure you did everything correct grab the hub/disk assembly, make sure it spins feely, and move it up and dwn--there should be no play---if there is--the first nut (the one w/ the pin)is not tight enough.(as a matter of fact, do this before you put everything back togather)

hope this helps.

3. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

Thanks for the detailed instructions "SCOOBYDANNN"! I'll let you know how it goes...

Ed