Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice fast

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JAKDUPBLUK5, Apr 14, 2002.

JAKDUPBLUK5 Registered Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Ok, I installed a 3" body lift on my '87 k5 blazer today. I did it by myself and it only took me 8 hours.
    Anyways, I rememebrd to loosen everyting on the steetring column, but i forgot to disconnect the auto column shifter linkage. Long story short, it wouldnt shift at all after i got done. I neede to move the car so i forced it and a big chunk o the clumn broke off. But now it shifts. The bad news is, that Now i can only get park and revers I backed it into where i parked it but wothout drive i cant go on from tehre. I have my dad's arc welder here but i dont know ho w to use it so i cant just weld on a new section to the linkage. Is there a longer linkage that i could buy somehwere and just attach it in place of the one on there now? PLease help me for i have F**ked up bad.
  2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Feb 23, 2001
    Did you actually break the column or the linkage?

If the column, I would just hit up the junk yard and get another. Should only run you around $100... I don't think you can arc weld the column, since I think the outer shell is aluminum...

If its the linkage, I'm sure you could fab a new one up VERY easily with a piece of rod from almost any hardware store.

Good luck!