Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice for idle problem with engine just installed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by vegas76k5, Aug 30, 2003.

1. vegas76k5

vegas76k5 Registered Member

I finally got my freshly rebuilt 350 installed and the cam broke in. Now that I am trying to fine tune it, I can't get it to idle at the right RPM. It idles way to fast. After it warms up, the idle does drop slightly, but not low enough. I have the screw in the carb adjusted for the lowest idle already. I tried spraying carb cleaner at the sealing surfaces with the engine running and had no change in engine speed. I was told I will have to pull the intake manifold off and use RTV on top of the gaskets. Before I do all that, I figured I would see what you guys say.

BTW - It is a 76K5, rebuilt 350, used Holley aluminum intake manifold, new Truck Avenger carb, new Accel HEI distributor.

Thanks for any help.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Get out the timing light, and make sure that is set correctly....

Use a vacuum gauge and shoot for the highest reading when adjusting the idle mixture....

Look for a screw on the linkage that will back the carb off some and idle it down too....

Good luck.....

3. vegas76k5

vegas76k5 Registered Member

Problem solved

Thanks for the help. I got it working right early this morning. I have never had a vehicle with a carb before. When I hooked the throtle cable up I didn't realize once the choke comes off the linkage moved that much. The cable was holding it like I was pressing the pedal.