Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice for lift options...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Consciouseye, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Consciouseye

Consciouseye Registered Member

I have what looks like a stock 87 K5 Blazer. My concern is with the 33 x 12.50 tires is that I may run into some rubbing issues. This is not going to be a truck that I will do any serious off roading with. I am looking for the best way to lift this truck so I don't have to do any cutting to the fenders. When I turn the wheel it gets pretty close. What would you recomend?

[​IMG]

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Sweet rig man! I think you`d be best off with 4" lift spings in front, shackle flip from DIY4X in rear...

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Where in MD are you?

You could go with the zero rates for 1". I plan on a 2" Tuff country lift to keep it close to stock looking.

4. Consciouseye

In Bel Air, MD...I'm thinking 2" might be the best way for me.

Heading up to East Coast Off Road in Bel Air to see what they say.

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

2" with 33's will still hit the rear of the front fender wells under full twist(on full lock). You WILL want to go bigger in future anyway so as bigblaze says, go with 4" front springs and shackle flip in the rear. That way it'll clear now with 33's and with a bit of fender trimming in future you can go with 35's or 37's.
    Trust me , a suspension lift is something you don't want to do too often!!

6. 88$PIT

88$PIT Registered Member

You say you will not be doing any serious offroading. If you do any offroading at all I would strongly suggest a 4" lift for those 33's. Someday you will come across a trail that will be irresistible to drive on. With proper clearance for those tires and a careful driving technique you will be able to go and see places not everyone can. Maybe a spring front/block rear or all spring lift is the best way to go for the money?

7. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

i would have to agree with big blaze. 4 inch spring in front and shackle flip in the rear.

im in havre de grace MD. where did you find a rig that clean up here? that thing is beautiful

8. Consciouseye

I bought it in New Jersy a few weeks ago.

9. Consciouseye

Bump for your opinion...

Here's what they told me today...

4 inch lift for $1,500... New leaf springs in the front, new shocks front and back, blocks for the back and includes alignment, tax and labor...

Is this a fair deal?

To be honest I'm not sure if I will ever take the truck off road :crazy:... it's too nice right now.

My main concern is with normal every day driving do I have to worry about the tires catching the fenders and ripping them up?

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you're going that route instead of a shackle flip make sure you get something like EZRide springs. If they use a cheap hard spring, add-a-leaf and blocks you're going to ruin your soft stock ride.
    Just mounting a curb with your steering on lock could take a chunk out of the rear of the front arch.

11. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Just pick it up and get walkin, do0D :D

12. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

take that pretty little middle finger and tell them to f' off! 1,500 for that setup is complete crap. with new rear springs you can get a 4" kit for under $700.... way under. my advice to you is to go to www.roughcountry.com, they have a 4" kit using blocks in the rear. comes with everything you need. and is only $309 base price... and installing a lift is easy since it's a leaf spring suspension. you can do it in a weekend with basic tools.

13. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Now I don't know how mechanically inclined you are or not but a lift is a bolt on deal. You may have trouble getting the orginall bolts off. I say tackle it yourself. It is not a hard job although you need some hand tools and jackstands.

As far as the actually lift, I agree with the 4" lift in the front, either tuff country ezrides or BDS springs and your choice of shackle flip in the rear. Much nicer ride than stock. 1500 bucks for a leaf in the front and block in the back lift installed seems high to me.

14. Consciouseye

Thanks for the responses so far...

I think I may look into the http://coloradok5.com/ordflipreview.shtml 4" shackle flip... I guess I can try to do this myself. I usually do my own work on my vehicles along with my father. How hard is this to install? This part scares me though...

"If you are installing the flip for a first time lift, the axle pinion angle will have to be measured and compared with the t-case, vibration could result if the angle does not match within 2 degrees."

I would hate to ruin such a perfect truck :crazy:

15. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Another option would be to use zero rates and move your front axle forward an inch. That may keep the tire out of the fender.

As far as the pinion angle goes, it is easy to fix with shims

16. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go with the 4" springs up front and blocks in the rear. You will save loads of money and you will most likely have more than enough suspension flex, etc for the offroading you plan on doing. It's good cheap fun.

17. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

every time I see a black blazer I want to paint my truck that color. NICE TRUCK man. Super clean!!! Im going to go with the choir on this one and suggest the 4 inch lift. Although, with my 4 inch lift I crunched the fender when I was wheeling but I was pushing my truck pretty hard too.

~Brian

18. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What size tires you got?

19. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

at the time I had 33 inch BFG muds.

~Brian