Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need advice, found a shortbed frame with a d60/14ff combo

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Miller, May 31, 2003.

1. Miller

Miller Registered Member

but theres a catch this rig is a shortbed desirable, I think its an 85-87s truck, someone swapped the axles under. ohhh theres more this rig is minus a motor, tranny, front fenders, hood, seat, dash, hmmmmmmm basicaly frame with axles under it and gutted cab n bed. its at salvage yard. I need to make an offer Im thinkn 1200 for starters.

this would be the makeing to make my truck a real truck. id use the leafe springs and basicaly everything that i could put onto my 89. front axle first then rear axle.

anyways you get the drift I want the rig for parts and figure it would be cheaper to make an offer on the hole thing than just to get the parts I need as i need em

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Sure a shortbed is desirable. 1200 would be a good price for the 1 ton set up.

John

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Don't offer too high for a gutted truck. Start low, maybe they will bite. You can always go up but not bid down.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If you show up with a grand cash in your hand he might bite. I'd start with a grand and then have $60 in smaller bills in your wallet. Take someone with you and give them $140 in twenties. Make it look like you're borrowing money to buy it. They usually won't try to jack up the price this way. They see it as "man, he really wants it" but they also know you're not going to go that far in debt to your friend.

I live in the UP of Michigan. I have dealt with people that try to play with the prices. In the newspaper it might say $1000. Go there and the vehicle says $800 on it in the window. Go knock on the door and they want $1100.

5. Miller

Miller Registered Member

I offerd 700 hundred. he says nothn less then 800.

why the hell I offerd 700 I dunno, but I know the guy pretty well I think IM gona work it off or something. though at second glance the front is only 44

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If it's only got a Dana 44 in the front it's not worth more than $500 especially if he gives you a salvage title. For $800 you can find a not-running 3/4 ton 4x4 with motor, transmission, and transfer case with either the motor or the transmission smoked.

I recommend continuing to look for something else.

7. Miller

Miller Registered Member

yeah every d44 looks like d60 at glance, actualy to tell you the truth i havent seen many 60s. but i wont settle for a 44. I may grab the rear axle though FF rear for 200 bucks that sound bad.

I always get all gunhoe about an axle but it turns out its not waht I want. I also know a guy with a d60 out of a 79 dodge doesnt have the vacumn actuator but Im still like ahhhh I want either a chevy or ford axle to make things alittle simpler, ohhh he wants 800 for the dodge axle.

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

14 bolt open for 200 bucks is expensive, then you have to try to find a 60 with matching gears. dana 60 is easy to tell apart from a 44... there are only 3 u-bolts holding it to the axle. where the other u-bolt is there is a casting into the housing with 2 bolts in it.

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I always thought the easiest way to spot a Dana 60 is the king pins. King pins don't look much like balljoints and they can be spotted 20' away. But other than that, yeah, two studs and three u-bolts is pretty easy to spot too from a distance.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i would pass, next thing you know youll find an old 1 ton 4x4 dead in a farmers field for way less, even if you got to travel a couple hundred miles to retrieve it, parts and stuff are worthless in current times, actually seem to be lower than were a few years ago, no one is doing or spending much right now

quite a few dana 60 rears under the 67-72 gmc and chevy 3/4 tons by the way, very common, just as much as the old eatons were
    good luck

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Be carefull, Dodge D44s use this set up (3 u-bolts) as well. Kingpins are the best wat to tell on an older D60. The new D60s have balljoints.