Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need advice---free goodies

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by fendereff, Jan 28, 2007.

1. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

ok so for my birthday my ol man told me he would go with me to 4WP and turn me loose and let me pick somethin out. I dont really know what I want though...so adivice!

I have a 2001 K2500HD PU that is just a daily driver. thinking maybe new and bigger tires or maybe go the performance route and get headers, programmer, etc., or if I should spend the free money on my play toy. I dont really need/want a lift for the PU.

For the burb I would maybe want the Banks turbo kit or mastercraft seats. I dont really know though. Really i just want 1 tons for the burb. it doesnt need much else besides 1 tons and good front seats. also thinking maybe a full roof rack ssytem with the axe/combo, hi-lift, ligts on all sides, gas cans, etc. so any advice/ideas would be appreciated

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hear programmers wake up 6.0s. How is it working for a dd? I would like to get one soon.

a removeable winch could be used on both vehicles

3. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

yea a programmer sounded good to me. it does pretty good now. have a FIPK on it and that helped a ton. i have a winch already...12k lb!

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I would grab a Diablosport programmer. There are others, but make sure they reprogram the torque management too- that's where the chips make seat of the pants power. I would probably avoid turning it all the way off, however. I've never read a negative post about a programmer on the LS1 trucks. I would expect an additional 1-2 MPG and 20-40 HP on your truck with the programmer and intake.

Headers will help too, but not nearly as much as the programmer. Maybe 10HP if you already have the programmer, intake, and exhaust.

If you're looking at tires for the DD, BFG makes a mud terrain in 255/85R16 which works out to a 33x10.5 or so. They are quite a bit cheaper than the 285's and 305's, are just as tall or taller, and fit perfectly on a 6.5" wide wheel. If you stick with 265/75's (about a 31x 10.5) you'll have more seat of the pants and towing power- especially if you only have 3.73 gears.

5. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Man I would go with the seats. I don't even know if you already spent the money or not.

But if you want seats for your burb, go for it. The banks would good too, But I really the idea of free seats.

Whenever I get free money, I always spend it on something I don't want to spend my OWN money on. And since you already have seats (well I hope your not sitting on lawn chairs while offroading there buddy). Then buying new seats seems not extremely needed, but it would make your life alot better when offroad.

Or go and buy ALOT of brews. hahaha. That's where money usually ends up....