Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Advice - Headlight switch and Oil Guage

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mcne2026, Jan 21, 2007.

1. mcne2026

mcne2026 Registered Member

I am going to paint the interior this week. I am also replacing the old worn out instrument cluster. I need to figure out how to replace the headlight switch. I am just trying to replace the knob and arm, but can not figure out how to remove it.

Also, I got the cluster out, but I saw some copper tube going into the oil pressure guage. I have never replaced an old one like this before. Can I just loosen the nut and pull out the tube or will it start shooting oil everywhere? Can I drive the rig 5 or 6 miles to the painter with the entire guage cluster disconnected?

Thanks...

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

1. twist the headlight knob back and forth while gently pulling outward on it and it should come out. You have to turn in from all the way left to all the way right.

2. If you start the motor with the gauge panel removed it will shoot oil on everything. Best bet is to get a cap for it, or leave the panel in until you get to the paint shop.

3. mcne2026

mcne2026 Registered Member

How do you remove the shaft the knob is attached to?

Will it shoot oil if I remove the oil guage tube with the engine off?

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

There is a spring loaded button ontop of the light switch. Push down on this button while pulling out on the knob. It will be tight, but shaft and all will come out.

For the oil line, just unhook from the block and put a plug in the block.

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It will only shoot oil if the engine ins running, it may drip oil if there is any in the line.

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

This is an excellent reference thread :bow: :D !!

7. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

yupers!

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Yep like 3 on the tree said.

Reach under the dash with one hand behind where the switch/knob is and you will find a little spring loaded button. Push the button and pull the knob and shaft out. The knob is connected to the shaft by a little screw.

Just go buy a plug for the oil line. You can either plug it where it connects to the guage or take it off at the motor and plug it there.

When I took mine to the body shop I tore apart a parts cluster and just attached the oil guage to it.

If you go to www.lmctruck.com and look at the online catalog it shows a headlight switch on page 137 #9.