Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need advice on 241 transfer case/ th700 tranny issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1989blazer, Mar 1, 2004.

1. 1989blazer

1989blazer Registered Member

Hey all, my truck's got a new thing going - it's always something - when shifting into 4H, the engine warning light comes on. Also, there's ATF fluid come from around the joint where the transmission joins the transfer case. I'm not sure these are related issues. Any thoughts? I didn't think the transfer case was wired into the engine warning light.. perhaps I cross wired when I was replaceing dash lights a few months back...

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It's the check engine light,,,and not the 4wd light? Mine was leaking at the same area just slightly, when i did my trans replacement, i found that the input shaft on the t-case was wore out, was cracked in two places, so i replaced that along with others, doesn't leak now.

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Here's my guess. Unplug the 2 wire switch on the 241 and see if the light still comes on. If it DOESN'T then chances are that you got your wires crossed at the dash. I'm taking it you DON'T get the 4wd light? You could also set the truck into diagnostic mode and see if the 4wd light comes on and starts flashing...

As for the fluid, pop the case off, dry it up, and put a nice quote of RTV on the two faces and slap it back together, should seal it right up. Check the tranny fluid level when you are done as well as the case /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Come on now, that RTV thing is just a cheap time buyer fix, /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif he's still going to have a leak, only now it will be internal, he's better off if he's got it apart anyways going ahead and replacing whatever seal is leaking. Fix it right while it's apart. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Come on now, that RTV thing is just a cheap time buyer fix, /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif he's still going to have a leak, only now it will be internal, he's better off if he's got it apart anyways going ahead and replacing whatever seal is leaking. Fix it right while it's apart. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There is fluid in that cavity anyways, no? If not, then there is no reason for the gasket and RTV in the first place. What lubricates the governor gears?

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, mine leaked like a sieve there as well, with a rebuild on the tranny and a rebuild on the case. Got lazy and didn't replace the gasket. Took it apart, cleaned it up, and resealed it. No problems...

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Are we talking about the same area? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Ya know what, i just went outside and looked at my old unit, i see what you are talking about, the reason there wasn't any fluid in mine when i pulled it apart was because there is a drain hole located in the rear area near that governor gear.When i drained all my fluid to make it less messy during the change, it came out too. So i stand corrected, you could just put some RTV on the surface area, I did alot of crap with that thing the past couple of weeks, just got confused as to the setup, i appologize,,,,my bad /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifDOH!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya know what, i just went outside and looked at my old unit, i see what you are talking about, the reason there wasn't any fluid in mine when i pulled it apart was because there is a drain hole located in the rear area near that governor gear.When i drained all my fluid to make it less messy during the change, it came out too. So i stand corrected, you could just put some RTV on the surface area, I did alot of crap with that thing the past couple of weeks, just got confused as to the setup, i appologize,,,,my bad /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifDOH!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No sweat, this is what my garage looks like right now, I've been REAL familiar with my tranny/case over the last 3 weeks. It was still fresh in my head /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

that looks like fun,,, /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif