Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on a leaking hyd ram fitting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Derf00, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Jul 25, 2000
    Sometime back my son bent the rod on the hyd ram on the Jimmy, it started leaking, so I pullled it off and sent it to WTOR to be rebuilt. We got it back recently and when we started installing it, we could not get the cap off the fitting on the pressue side of the steering box. So we ended up removing the fitting from the steering box and then were able to remove the cap. After reinstalling the fitting, and installing the ram, I could not stop the fitting from leaking. It is not cross threaded, I have used teflon tape, varying degrees of tightness, etc. and now am trying a a teflon pipe dope, and that didn't work it still leaks like a bit**.

Any suggestions??
  2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jul 18, 2001
    all i could think is get the npt tap and chase the threads, then use a lot of tefelon tape on the fitting... \_/ like this so theres a lot more tefelon tape wrapped around the top than the bottom, this way it will get tighter and seal better as you tighten it in.
    and i'm sure you did but make sure you wrap the tefelon tape around the fitting so that it wont unwrap as you tighten it.
    Otherwise the tefelon paste works good sometimes. it sounds like you've tried everything. :crazy:

good luck man. :confused: