Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on a shop that has my axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MJF, Nov 7, 2002.

1. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I took my D44 axle to a shop to have the Ring & Pinion replaced. After they inspected it, they said that whoever did the gear swap last time had used a "spacer". I don't know what that is so I asked what that meant.
    They said they could do the job with the spacer there but wouldn't warranty the work. I said fine just do it so I can get on with building my truck.
    I went to get an update today since they said they would be finished yesterday or this morning. Now they are saying that they can't get it to set up correctly. They say it's too loose & I need a new diff housing(I think that's what they said). The guy at the counter said he would have the person call me when he got back. Noone called so I called back & now that person is out to lunch & he will call when he gets back.

Now they say the new housing isn't that much($70 or so), but does this sound right? They also told me that I will need to replace almost everything on the axle because it's all worn. I will need all the bearings, ball joints, & all that. But he said I could do that later. For now they are replacing the R&P & the install kit.

What do you guys think?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Which shop did you take it to? If you need a D44 housing I have one that is still under my truck, but the 60 is going in soon so it wouldn't be a huge deal to get it out. I just need to get another set of jackstands if I pull it out before I put the 60 in. Everything is already disconnected, just needs to be unbolted from the springs, so like 15 minutes with the impact. Did they mean that there is a ring gear spacer, or that they used a spacer instead of a crush sleeve? </font color>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

First off, when reaplcing the R&amp;P, I HIGHLY recommend changing out the carrier, pinon, and axle bearings. A good install kit will include the carrier and pinon bearings. This just makes sense to do while in there. As far as balljoints and stuff go, we could probably all use such a replacement! Sounds like an oil change place that hits you up for the air filter and everything else.

I have no idea what kind of "spacer" they are talking about. There are shims on the carrier and shims on the pinion usually. These are how the gears are actually setup. Install kits usually include shims that are of various thicknesses (.001 to .010). However, a factory original diff setup may include one large shim. At least that is how my 10-bolts were.

Again, I cannot think of a "spacer" that would be used somewhere in the diff that would cause a problem and make you have to replace the housing.

Keep us updated. How much are they charging you for the actual install before this mess?

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Shaggy,
    They said it was a ring spacer. They said sometimes they use the spacer instead of getting the thicker gears. DOn't quote me on that, but I think that's what they said.

The bill is already around $450 then add the new housing, I'm looking at around $600 or so. It's a bitch to not have the knowledge or tools to do it yourself.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

On all cases, there is a "break" point. As you go higher numerically (lower gearing), the pinion gets smaller. If you case is below the break point, then taller gears cannot shift the ring gear over enough to properly contact the pinion. There are 3 solutions for this: (1) use the higher break point case, (2) use thick gears, or (3) use a spacer behind the ring gear to make it thicker overall. Most people just use thick gears. However, if you already have gears and they are not thick, it is probably better to swap cases than to use the spacer (my opinion).

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, sounds like you have a spacer used to mate a mismatched ring and carrier. I have no experience with those spacers but, I think they should be able to make it work. Maybe there are longevity issues or various quality levels? &lt;shrug&gt; If it were me, I would call Randy's R&amp;P about it. They are pretty good about giving advise on the phone...

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm not a big fan of ring gear spacers, but they do the job. However, if they're setting up new gears anyways, why not just spend a little extra and put a l/s or locker in it? If you want to get my housing we could probably work something out. It's got the knuckles on it and the ball joints are pretty good. Just PM me if you're interested.</font color>

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yeap, i sent my 12 bolt i got from my friend for free, to have new gears put in, it was an open carrier, which is what i wanted, anyway, he was nice anough not to put new gears in it, since it had what i wanted, i just didnt know it, im not fimiliar with anything but 10 bolts /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, and i thought my friend was stupid, because he gave me two axles and said they both came off of a 79 blazer, but the guy who i sent the axle to was nice anough to call me and say, sir you already have 3.08 gears in this axle, i was like wow, thank you, "you saved me 500$, i recomend that place to my friends, since he was so honest, and the work they do there is good and solid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

10. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Well, I checked with the shop again. They said they finally got it to set up correctly &amp; it will be done today. They said everything in the diff case out to the tube seals is ok, but i will need to replace the rest of the bearings, seals &amp; even my axle syubs(is that what they're called?). The ujoints &amp; outer shafts(stubs) are showing some serious wear. It should be ok for 2wd but any serious off-road will probably break it.

Shaggy, I'll Pm you about your parts.