Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need advice on a stand-alone video surveillance system

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by randy88k5, Sep 11, 2006.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

My grandmother lives in a retirement community. A little over a year ago, one of the guards (because they used a key) was able to get in and steal coins, credit cards, cash, etc.. when she was away. She was not liable for the cc purchases obviously.

Well, now she is scared for herself and her posessions. She always calls my mom saying shes been robbed again, but my mom finds the stuff (she's starting to lose it mentally).

Well, my grandmother and I were talking, and she said she wishes she could catch the person in the act, because no one seems to believe her. Im going to buy her a system to use, but it needs to fit my exact specifications. Money is not that big of a concern.

I need a standalone system. A black and white camera would be fine, but it needs to have a crisp image. The distance would be about 5-15 feet, about waist to chest level high. It needs to be relatively small, something that I could fit in a knick-knack or a stuffed animal. Either wired or wireless. It cannot be connected to a laptop computer because she does not know anything newer than a touchtone telephone. A camera that could shoot video to a hard drive, memory card, USB drive, etc... would be perfect. My mom could retrieve the video with her laptop if my grandmother suspects any suspicious activity.

Does anyone know of said system, or know where I could look for one? Thanks a lot for looking.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I dunno about going to a puter but I have a video camera that is recorded to a VCR remotely, I got it at radioshack for 100 bucks and it worked great...Here check these out

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Hey dood, I install this stuff for a living right now. Id go into detail right now, but Im actually in the middle of puting some cameras in a Sears as I type.

Check out this website, (http://www.supercircuits.com/) they have a lot of good prices on "covert" cameras and DVR systems.

I'll shoot you a PM sometime in the near future to help you out a little more.

In a nutshell though, a nice 1GB DVR and a single covert camera is the absolute best way to go. It will record for a whole month at full motion and you don't have to worry about stopping by to change tapes. The whole shebang should cost about $300, 90% of the cost being the DVR.

Al

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

One thing I used with great success as a policeman on known targets was "thief power"/// ultraviolet powder....
    Obviously you would be setting the guy up..knowing when he was on duty and you would need the ability to check on him... dust some "goodies" laid out for him that he couldnt resist... check on said goodies and when gone approach him with a small blacklight and poof... all over his hands... they always confessed.. video is fantastic.. provided hes not a discrete thief and hides his movements.. but a good wide angle lense should get it if you set the scene correctly. Remember to stage the room correctly.. and also remember innocent workers will be moving things around... perhaps a dish in her room with the goodies in it... (fake gold rings, change, etc)

Ok.. there are many good covert video system out there... a radio being one that sounds good for your purposes... provided he doesnt steal it...

If you suspect one person... go to the police.. see if they can help...atr the very leaset they can identify the guy and see if he has a criminal history.. plus it officially documents your complaint..if not ..then the nursing home admin... demand he not be allowed near your relative.. but midnight's suggestion is a great one.. depends on how bad you want the guy and what you are willing to spend to get him.. the thought of a dirtbag having access to my relative would make me spend anything
    let us know what happens on this one...this asshole should be shot

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Look at these. Only thing is that you will need a VCR close by.